Maternal Screening Question... PLEASE read!!!

Ok so I got a phone call from my Dr. yesterday and he told me that I tested positive for down syndrome in my maternal screening. He informed me that I need to go to see a perinatal dr. Of course I am going to go but now it has me all stressed out and worried. I can not go into see the dr until after xmas. My question is has anyone had a positive test result and everything be normal. Now I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea I am going to love this baby as much as any other baby but I want some peace of mind.

ajohnson724

Asked by ajohnson724 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hi i did not test positive for the maternal test but i did have an abnormal result with the quad screen around 15wk...it was horrible..but I can say that there are alot of false positives..I did got for all the other testing yesterday the 16th and got a clean bill of health the baby is fine and healthy...I am wish and prayin all the best for you...good luck
    Anonymous

• I have heard that you can often get a false positive. I haven't personally experienced it - I don't even do any of the testing. To me it is pointless since they won't treat anything they find until after the baby is born. I wouldn't stress about and if it was me, I might just skip anymore testing.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• They told me my DD had DS, too. My SO's sister is severely DS, so they thought for sure that the postive was correct. I did an U/S at about 20 weeks and everything was structurally "sound" on my DD and they told me not to worry. I had her and she is healthy as a horse, no physical or mental problems AT ALL. So please, don't stress it is bad for your baby.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My triple screen said said a had a 1 in 11 chance that my daughter would have down syndrome and she does! I cried my eyes out for months when they told me I had an abnormal test result. And now I think "why was I crying?" It doesn't even matter so don't be stressed I sometimes forget she even has it and I wouldn't trade her for the world. Don't worry:)
    miasmama07

Answer by miasmama07 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Was it the triple screen? That one is wrong so often I refused it and went straight to the amnio.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It was the quad screening.  He wants me to go have an amnio done and some other sort of mors specific ultrasound.  I am trying my hardest not to stress but its easier said than done. 

ajohnson724

Answer by ajohnson724 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I also had a level 2 ultra sound and after the ultra sound showed more soft markers for ds they suggested I do the amnio but for me risking a miscarriage or early labor just to know whether or not she had ds just wasn't worth the risk. A baby's a baby
    Anonymous

• both me and my cousin were told that we tested posotive 4 down syndrome my dr told me not to worry that test is not always right my cousin was encouraged to abort we both decided to ignore the results both our children were born without down syndrome so dont worry exspecially since u say it wouldnt make a diference
    Anonymous

• I hate it when doctors say you tested "positive" for Down Syndrome after a quad screen that is just not accurate. You may have an increased risk for DS but that test can not tell you for sure one way or another only the amnio can tell you for sure. When I got my quad results back on my second child they said I was at an increased risk of having a child with DS 1 in 25. I decided not to do the amnio and did find out after his birth that he did have DS. I loved him dearly but still cried and grieved but today he is 2 and a half and I can't imagine not having him. It is hard to wait it out but hang in there. I'm sorry you can't get into the new doctor sooner. 

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My SIL Did, and the doctors tried to counsel her to abort. My brother was overseas in the Navy at the time and told her he felt strongly that this baby was their baby and regardless of the next results, they would still love him. She did not go for the testing, etc - and he's perfect.

Best of luck to you - try and not worry over-much! :) (much easier said than done, I know!)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2009