Who knows how to make grape pie?

Up until I met my husband, I'd never heard of grape pie, but it's apparently a big thing where he grew up.
I've found several recipes and they all call for concord grapes. Knowing next to nothing about grapes...am I likely to get a good result substituting regular old seedless red grapes? I understand that the taste may vary, but I can't find concord grapes around here.

Thanks!

shesajar

Asked by shesajar at 7:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Concord grapes a way different than table (regular) grapes. So no, I highly doubt you'd get the same result. A concord's skin is a lot thicker, the grape is a lot smaller, the pulp is slimier...I wouldn't risk it.
    Anonymous

• Thanks, this is what I feared, but it was worth a shot to ask.
    shesajar

Answer by shesajar at 11:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• call around to your local produce markets or organic stores they hsold have some.
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 8:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Get online and see if you can get some shipped to you or maybe Freshmarket has some or know where you can find them. Maybe someplace has them frozen. I know fresh is best but sometimes you have to improvise.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2009