My son was born tongue tied and hes getting it clipped. Has anyone else gone through this? What do they do?

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 2 weeks old when he had his tongue clipped. He was hungry and fussy before he for it clipped and was fine afterwards as soon as I put a bottle in his mouth. It's no biggie when they're newborn, but when they're old enough to talk it would be harder to fix because they'd have to use anesthetics.
    Anonymous

• Haven't been through it personally, but know of many moms who've had it done. The frenulum gets clipped. It's a pretty simple procedure.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I think my cousin had to have that done when she was born. It didnt take long, and she wasnt in any pain, so i imagine it's pretty simple and quick, painless.
    Anonymous

• It was easy. Emi was 5 days old, they number her tongue, then clipped it. She nursed after.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Two of my kids had a tongue tie clipped. My first was about five weeks old- the doc basically used what look like small scissors to snip the frenulum under the tongue. Then he gave him to me to nurse- once he was done nursing they checked to make sure it wasn't bleeding and sent him home. My middle child had it done when she was about two days old because after the latch issues I had with my son I knew I wanted it snipped! It was a different doctor who used a different tool and it looked more upsetting (she kind of 'sawed' through the piece of skin with some sort of small scalpel) but again, no big deal- they gave her to me to nurse, when she was done the bleeding had stopped, and no further issues. And my third baby shocked us all but not having a tongue tie at all! HTH! It really was not bad at all, and if you're nursing it makes things a LOT easier.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009