Discipline suggestion for 14 month old

My ds, 14 months, thinks the vacuum cleaner is so cool. However, he's started getting interested in the cord and also wanting to UNPLUG it while I'm using it. I've tried "NO! Dangerous!," and redirecting him. No luck. He keeps playing with the cord and plug.

We've got a long-haired dog that sheds, and in between him and going in/out into the backyard, the floors NEED to be vacuumed during the day. .. doing so during nap time wakes ds up... again, because he wants to see the vacuum. lol.

Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always put my son in his playpen while I vacuum. Usually he hates the playpen but I guess he decides to watch me whether than try to yell louder than it is.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'd put him in a place where he can't get at it. I also seem to recall my husband seeing something new on TV for sweeping up dog hair...we have a Lhasanese who's always shedding!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My 14 month old is TERRIFIED of the vacuum...even if it's just sitting there idle & unplugged. He won't go anywhere near it. And if he's left behind in a room w/ a vacuum in it, he'll walk or crawl out of it at full speed, screaming...

So I definitely don't have a problem with him messing with it. But I would definitely just keep him out of the room during vacuuming if at all possible...or in a playpen or high chair.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009