My husband shot himself

It was an accident! He did it friday while cleaning his gun, which I didn't even know we had by the way! Luckily for me and the kids he was home alone, but we weren't far. Anyway, the bullet went thru his knee and shattered his tibia and some other stuff. He's got rods sticking out of his leg and is getting internal plates/pins put in tomorrow. My question is, he's in the army, does anyone know if he's going to get medically discharged for this? Will it depend on how quickly he's able to walk/run again? This was not an at work accident, it happened in our apartment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• Your best bet would be to talk to Medical and to Base Legal about it and make sure with them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It'll depend on his recovery
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 7:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Owie. I'm sorry. I am not sure I think they do a full investigation including psych report. Good luck.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'd be surprised if he got medically discharged for the injuries - our military comes home from war from far worse injuries and some go back and fight.

he could be penalized somehow for using the weapon - if its a serivce revolver and not a personal resolver.

you or the hospital probably had to tell the police who might notify the base that this happened? at least civilian police had to be told cause it was a gunshot - i think that's mandatory to tell police.

My son has seven pins and two plates in his leg and he was up back to normal in 8 months, he broke his leg and sprained his ankle and tore a ligament all one leg.

I know two people who committed suicide with guns in their homes - bet more careful with knowledge of what's in your house for your babies' sake and yours too.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Dont take this the wrong way but if hes a military guy shouldnt he know to empty the barrel before cleaning the gun? It sounds to me like he did it on purpose to get out of the military. def JMO but curious too. Im not saying it was on purpose but doesnt he know better?
    Anonymous

• i'll bet the army would think he did this on purpose so that he doesnt have to be deployed or anything..i would think that someone in the military would have knowledge about cleaning a gun
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• wow...that's a bit over the top, shooting yourself to get out of the military. i couldn't imagine he would do it for that reason.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I'm not going to really comment on your question because honestly I don't know the answer to your question.
    But to those that think because he's military he should know how to clean a gun. I was in the Navy and I know zilch about guns. We shot guns in boot camp that weren't even really loaded. They had been refurbished with lasers on them. Just because he's in the Army doesn't mean he's around guns. His job could be with computers or something else non gun related for all anyone knows.
    It's just good common sense to unload it before cleaning it or storing it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It is really a mistake to have loaded gun in your home, obviously. Why would you need it? Now he has damaged his leg and who knows what they will do for you. Maybe nothing. And with kids, it s wrong to keep a gun. If you lock it up to protect your kids it won't do any good for you then anyway. This is why I thinkthe NRA and the gun nuts have it all wrong.
    Anonymous

• He's in the military, you didn't know he had a gun, and he shot himself while cleaning it? Sounds kinda fishy to me. But, he won't get discharged until they know the extent of his injuries and if he will make a full or near full recovery. These are questions he needs to ask the doctors and his CO.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009