How can I get my 17 mo. old son to fall asleep by himself?

My son will be 17 mo. next week, he was breast fed exclusively for 9 months then slowly started weening. He was off the breast and on whole milk by 12 mo. He sleeps through the night, but he also still sleeps in my bed. He takes a water bottle to fall asleep and likes to try and put his hand down my shirt for comfort ( it's starting to get a bit old). I'm looking to see if I can get him to fall asleep on his own. I converted his crib into a toddler bed, because he can climb out of it, so it was pointless, and I didn't want him hurting himself.
So any pointer or tips... cry it out won't really work, his room is my room and there is no barrier ( like a crib) to keep him contained.

Thanks for nay advice. If I must I'll wait until he's older and will maybe understand a bit better, but i'd like to at least try now.

CJs_Mommy624

Asked by CJs_Mommy624 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you established a nice consistent calming bedtime routine?

When I wanted to do this with my youngest we started doing a snack followed by brushing teeth, pajamas, story time and then bedtime. Same time every night. Same order every night. It didn't take long for him to settle into the routine.
    Anonymous