How can I be more involved in communicating with my child?

I feel awful sometimes because I am a working mother which works a midday shift. I feel as if I do not spend a lot of quality time in communicating with my 20 month old. My husband watches her and is there with her while i'm away, but he works from home and so he pretty much leaves her with the television. She have learning dvds that she watches daily and is learning a great deal from them. The problem i'm facing is that when I get home at night, I have very little time to talk and play with her, but when i try to communicate with her she only communicates if I'm watching television with her and acting out what I see on television. If the tv is off she rarely gives me the time of day. Do anyone have any answers to that or is that the way it's going to be considering the fact that my schedule won't change anytime soon?

luvelymommy

Asked by luvelymommy at 8:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well I would ask your hubby to not use the tv as a babysitter. during snacktime or in the mornings to watch sesame street is ok, but not throughout the day! an infant and toddler need face to face communication to absorb more information. but I understand if he has the type of wah job which requies its full attention. anyways, when you are home, read to her, sing nursery rhymes, especially interactive ones like itsy bitsy spider or peas porridge hot, she can be your kichen helper: simply telling her what you are doing or giving her her own mixing bowl and spoon to play with, or helping her add an ingredient is a great learning experience! I read great advice on here, about having a "color" or "shape" of the day so they dont get overwhelmed...when you take her grocery shopping, point to all the "orange" foods or "square" boxes....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• sing with her, hold her and prepare a dessert ( fruit bowl) something.brush each others hair, take a bath with her, i do sometimes with my lil one
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Maybe your DH could take her to a daycare even for half a day where she is interacting with other children/adults and not so much TV. It's just a thought I know we can't all afford that.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 11:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Turn the tv off when you get home. At first she might protest but she will get over it soon and realize that there are more fun things she can be doing with Mommy instead. Look at books with her, play with her toys, sing songs. Even if you can only do this for an hour it will have a big impact on your daughter. You may have to put off other things to spend some time with her but I think it will be worth it for both of you. Like ankelbitr said, it might be worth it to try to get her into a daycare even for a little bit of time each week so she isn't in front of the tv all day. Even though she is watching learning videos, too much time in front of the tube isn't good for kids, especially kids under two. I believe the American Academy of Pediatricians recommends no tv for kids under two years old (which I know is nearly impossible, at least in my home, but I do try to limit the expossure as much as possible).
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2009