is there something wrong with me???

my baby was born on 11/12
we came home 11/13
Now I dont know what to do...
My hubby is at work, im home trying to concentrate on a final, and the baby is resting
you would think that all is well, and it is, but in my mind its not
Im just so lonely right now, im all good on sleep, breast feeding is going fantastic, everything good
but whenever Im here with out my hubby I get so sad.
I start to think wayy to much about the future, scary things, happy things, I have even become afraid of being alone in my house, I have never been afraid before, but i feel like now I have a baby I have to protect too if someone were to try somehting.
its 5:30pm now and I have until 8pm for my hubby to come home for his lunch and then he's off again until 1am

is this being depressed? hormonal? i feel so lost :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh.. the guilty scared feeling, I had that too - it turns out you are a MOM now, and you will do anything to protect your baby.. so these thoughts ARE normal. I thought I was going insane but you have this instinct ( which I didn't believe i had til recently ) to do all you can to protect you and your baby from eveyrhting, so you instantly think of everything, mostly BAD things ! its overwhelminng and terrifying. but NORMAL
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I still have that problem and my son is 18 months old. It's a mother's job to protect her babies. I always worry about things. I know my husband loves us, and that's why he works all the time. But just remember he always comes home. He loves you.
    Anonymous

• my child is 17months and im still afraid to be alone. i lock the doors and have the phone by me at all times when hes gone. i get anxes when i know hes coming home.when ever i go to the store with out my baby i always think something bad is going to happen and im not going to be there.i think what we are going threw comes with being a mother.and truct me when u feel someone is puting ur baby in danger u will be able to do the unexpected.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I want you to call your doctor tomorrow and talk to them. YOU ARE STARTING INTO POST PARTUM DEPRESSION. Those symptoms I could have written after my first born. You need to contact them immediately and not wait to "shake it off". Tell them of your fears and feelings. These are very scary feelings and you should not have to deal with this alone. You are NOT CRAZY. This is your hormones messing with you.
    Oh, and congratulations!!!
    Anonymous

• Sounds like normal new mom feelings. I get paranoid over everything... imagine the worst case scenario in nearly every situation. It's protective to help avoid that worst case scenario.

I don't like being in the house alone either and at night has to be tough... do you have any friends to invite over? I keep the TV on much of the time for company and used to read a lot.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Sounds like post partum depression. I did the same thing. Look it up on the interent there are lots of support groups and information. congrats on the new baby!!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Hey mama,
    I'd call your doctor tomorrow morning. Are you getting major anxiety?? Is it making your tummy churn? It does sounds like some symptoms of PPD, and yes, those hormones can make you feel this way too. Be specific when you talk to your doctor, and make sure they are listening carefully. And yes, it is definately OK to feel like you are your baby's protector, and feel more guarded about everything. You are SUPERMOMMY! Please message me if you like, even if you just need some cheering up.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• That's totally normal. It's the hormones. I think some people are over reacting.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like the baby blues to me, your hormones are getting back to normal, you have a little one to care for and your role has changed. You are also home alone in the evening, that can't be easy.. The baby blues stay for about 2 weeks or LESS, PPD can develop and if it lasts for more than 2 weeks it is def PPD and your Dr needs to know. Call them and see what they say but baby blues are very common and having them does not mean it will turn into PPD.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You are still hormonal. You don't have as much freedom as you once had. Your body is all different. When I had my first my world was turned upside down. All that responsibility was a little intimidating. Give yourself time to adjust to your new role. Keep telling your self you are completelycapable mommy and you are safe. Get out of the house, even a walk around the block would be good. Talk to your doctor if you really feel starting to lose it.  Remember you are doing a great job, keep it up.  Things will come together.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2009