Are you a nurse? Career/Education question

What type of nurse are you? How long did you go to school? Do you like your job? Would you do it all again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am not a RN yet, I graduate next month, so I will answer your questions the best I can. I have worked in many hospitals doing my clinicals plus 96 hours of preceptorship and I love the med-surg floor. Total I have went to school for 3 years and as for the school part NO, I would not do it again LOL, it is very hard,stressful and never ending. I also have 3 children and a hubby plus all the mom and wife stuff to do. This journey has been amazing but very stressful. Test tomorrow so I am so ready for tomorrow to be over. Nothing but finals left. If you love taking care of people, teaching and counseling and can handle death because yes sometimes patients will die then nursing might be a good fit for you. How are you with blood, vomit, fecal matter and horrid smells LOL..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I practiced as an LPN for over 10 yrs, but due to health problems I no longer practice or carry my license. I went through a 10 month VERY intense LPN program and passed my boards with the minimum questions given. I very much enjoyed nursing, but the politics of health care tend to cloud the better interest of the patients and I had a VERY hard time dealing with that, as I feel the care of the patient is the most important, unfortunately management doesnt usually see it that way. Healthcare, on the whole is very frustrating...... Would I do it all over again, probably not, if I had other options, but those are for my own personal reasons and because I know how much damage my body has endured.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 10:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My sister is a nurse. She has a BSN, RN, Masters of Midwifery (she delivered my daughter), and lots of certificates. She no longer does patient care, just patient education (primarily diabetes education for pregant women).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I am a LVN and went to school for 15months but boy was it crazy....meaning lots of studying and no social life, my friends were my fellow student all we did was go to school meet somewhere to study. LVN are very hands on with patients something I truely enjoy very much, I have been a pediatric nurse for 10ys now yes I have thought about going back to school but something always comes up, but as long as I get to spend time with my pt's that is okay with me. Would I do it again yes in a heart beat....but if I had the time I would go all the way becasue once you have a family its harder to go back. The reason I went this route LVN was becasue I didn't want to waste my time and later realize I hate nursing (I had a couple of friends who became rns and hated it and wasted all that time and money)/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2009