How much does your toddler eat for each meal??

I never know if my son is getting enough to eat or not. I mean, I feed him until he starts throwing his food, but, I just wonder if it's enough.
He's 14 months.

Tonight he ate a jar of stage 3 Corn -- He loves it! 1/3 of a hot dog. 4 Chicken tenders, but only the chicken inside, not the breaded part. And 2 tator tots.

Is that just about average???

He's only in the 10th percentile in weight, so I'm trying to get his weight up a bit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not enough if you ask me, but she is a healthy weight and growing like a weed. I put plenty in front of her. and she eat until she is full. That is about all you can do. Just keep offering healthy foods. My 23 year old eats breakfast about 7:30-8 am doesn't finish until 9am She gets a snack at 9:30-10:00 if she asks. At about noon she has lunch. For breakfast this morning she had about 1/3 a cup of kix and 1/2 an ounce of raisins. With 9 ounces of whole milk. For snack it was a 1/3 a cup gold fish crackers and watered down V8 Fusion 9 ounces. For lunch it was 6 grape tomatoes, 1 slice of raisin bread, and a slice of cheese with another sippy of V8 fusion. We skipped afternoon snack, and for dinner we had 1/3 c. cream corn and 1/2 c. spaghetti and about about 2 ounces of milk.  Both of my girls have slowed down eating. I figure they have finished there growth spurts for awhile.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Children of all ages, go through phases with their eating. Sometimes they eat a lot and sometimes they don't. You don't have to force food into your child. If they are hungry they will eat. They stop eating when they have had enough.

I wouldn't worry about getting your child's weight up unless your Doctor is concerned. We all have different body types and needs during different times of our lives.
    Anonymous

• That sounds reasonable to me. Does he get a lot of snacks? Mine was a piggy and while most of the kids in her class would pick at their food, she was eating two plates. I think she was at the height of agrowth spurt then! Now at 2 1/2 she'll a hot dog and some apple sauce and that's a meal. Or eggs and bacon, or veggies and some chicken. But she still snacks quite a bit too. She's also only 26 lbs so on the tiny side too. At closer to one she would eat all of the gerber graduate meals. Then slowly, she started only eating half. So just depends if your child is having a growth spurt, eating snacks and meals, drinking a lot, etc. If he's gaining, don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• PS I've also had nights when all my daughter ate is about 5 crakers and some milk and then passed out. :) It's about the overall diet.
    Anonymous