Can anyone explain the Ferber method to me?

I haven't gone out to buy the book because I need to know whether or not i'm going to commit to it or not. But i don't think i know enough about it to commit to it or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I heard all of this horrible stuff about it and refused to ever do it. Then when my son was 2 and I was desperate for him to sleep before my second baby was born, someone gave me the book. It was not at all what I expected. It was an entire book on sleep, dealing with all kinds of sleep issues written by a doctor who specialized in sleep.
    The sleep training method has you put your child to bed then go back in after 3 minutes and reassure them if they are crying, but not pick them up, then go back in and do the same thing after 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then keep going in every 10 minutes until the child goes to sleep. The second night you do 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes I think. It says you can modify it if you think those increments are too long.
    This method worked for my son in 3 days and wasn't nearly as harsh as I thought it would be. It didn't work for my daughter though.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Have you done any research on the internet?

http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-ferber-method-demystified_7755.bc

Anonymous

• Just check it out from the library.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• we just turn on the vaccuum to get our baby to sleep...if he fusses, we turn it on and ta-da, he falls back asleep...there are tons of methods to help babies sleep, ferber might work or might not so check into other sleep methods as well...good luck
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 12:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• thanks guys
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2009