Another young person standing up for them selves...AMAZING...right?

New Jersey Teen Barred From Abortion Protest Sues School
A New Jersey high school student claims in a federal lawsuit that school administrators violated her First Amendment free-speech and religious-freedom rights when they said she couldn't participate in a day of silent protest against abortion.In the Bridgeton case, the student planned to remain silent on Oct. 20, except when called on in class at her public school. She also wanted to wear an armband with the word "life" on it and to hand out anti-abortion pamphlets. Some students who participate in the protest put tape across their mouths to show they're speaking for the unborn, who can't speak for themselves, Cortman said.

JUST want to make sure I have this right. THIS student stood up for HER beliefs....inspiring??

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yes, inspiring and impressive for such a young girl to make such a mature stand. (applauding)
    Anonymous

• clapping

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• no not inspiriing.. how can you say on one hand take god out of school and then allow this sort of thing in school? confusing instead
    Anonymous

• While I don't agree with her stance, as long as she is quietly protesting in school Idon't really have an issue with it. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that the school feels this might be a disruption in her classes throughout the day. While she is not speaking, she is making a statement, and that could infringe on the rights of other kids to get the scheduled lessons that day. While I support her right to voice her opinion, while typing this I could see where she might be s disruption that they do not want to have happening.

If she wanted to set up a table and protest before or after school or during her free period/lunch, that might be a compromise. The kid who won't say the pledge based on gay discrimination only makes a statement for minute. This chick is wanting to do so all day, and while I think she has a right, school is not a democracy and I can see why they might say no.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 9:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• My opinion? I wish I knew how old she was. This being you can obviously tell how much parental influence is involved. Also The lawsuit is stupid, she knows the rules
    "The armband would have violated the school's strict dress code, he said. He said it allows "no insignias unless it has to do with Bridgeton High School." and he said the school has a policy that generally doesn't allow students or staff to distribute literature without prior approval. He says the policy is in place partly to guard against lawsuits like this one."
    So knowing the rules means FOLLOWING the rules!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I also think that handing out pamphlets is a disruption. This student wants to make a statement, she needs to follow the school rules. Schools generally only let you create a disruption for school backed/based events. I think the wanting to hand out lit is a little pushy.

I also think she chose the wrong venue. School is there, our tax dollars are spent, for teaching. This is her attempting to teach her beliefs, and it's inappropriate. While I applaud her willingness to announce her beliefs, the more I think about it, the more I feel she is trying to circumvent her beliefs and her wishes on how to express them in a venue not appropriate for it.

I don't think she is going to get far with this. Schools generally have the final say so as to whether a non-school based assembly/event can be held on their grounds during school hours.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 9:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• you didn't think yesterdays kid was amazing, OP.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• In neither case were the kids standing up for themselves.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Carpy, we are what we learn at that age. Some learn tolerance, some learn otherwise.....
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 9:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2009