I am a nursing student and am doing a teaching presentation tomorrow to 5th and 6th graders. I can teach them whatever I want as long as it is health related. I am having a hard time coming up with something. Any ideas out there? Thanks ahead of time.

dazzledew

Asked by dazzledew at 9:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You could talk about....
    The importance of staying active in the winter months and way to stay physical
    You could talk about peer pressure in relationship to healthy choices... such as not doing drugs or alcohol and why it's bad for their health
    You could do a questions and answer session on H1N1 see what they understand about all of the stuff on TV and teach them how to stay healthy this winter... stress hand washing, not going to school when sick (or the mall either)... stuff like that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Ummmmm, you are doing a teaching presentation tomorrow and you still dont know what you are doing? Way to prepare!
    Anonymous

• TEACH PERSONAL HYGIENE. LOL...sometimes when it comes from someone other than mom they listen. Talk about nail cutting, hair hygiene (washing, not sharing brushes), the importance of oral hygiene. Seriously, I know so many kids that age that need to hear this.
    Anonymous

• Don't know if you will have enough time to prepare but what about the risks of obesity secondary to bad food choices. Alot of kids don't understand the things they do today WILL affect them in the future, DM,MI, ARF, ESRD related to DM.. you know the list goes on and on.

You could also do one on the importance of hand washing, it is cold and flu season..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Yeah, I second personal hygiene.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 9:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Thanks everyone. This is my 3rd teaching presentation in a week and a half and am running out of ideas. To little miss anonymous, I have ideas, just wanted to ask for some extra help and see if anyone had any more ideas. My advice to you is to not reply if you don't have something nice to say and also to "cheer up".
    dazzledew

Answer by dazzledew at 9:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Personal hygiene!!! Also, proper handwashing and covering sneezes and coughs. Proper hygiene is a huge thing at this age, especially with boys!! GOOD LUCK!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• PErsonal hygiene is a good one! I also like topics such as why not to share things like drinks, food, hair brushes. Hand washing is a good one too. There was a show I watched once where they put something like blue powder on 3 people's hands to symbolize germs. Then watched them throughout the day and the blue powder was on door knobs, pencils, etc. You could do a shortened version of that.
    Anonymous

• What about how to treat sprains/strains - the whole "RICE" thing. A lot of kids that age are into youth athletics. I have a great post about how to treat them in my group, you could cute a past it and use it as a handout if you want!! (just search "Sports Injury info" in groups if you are interested - I don't have the ULR handy, sorry)

Or basic first aid like wound care - cleaning a cut with soap & water, keeping it clean & covered, universal precautions???

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Talk about hand washing and germs. On fun activity is many clors of glitter n rheir hands then they need to spend time socaliclizing with each other then at the end they will see that they shares their glitter and picked up other peoples glitter and the glitter equals germs. Also sprinkle glitter in to a tissue to demnstrate those germs and even after washing hands how germs lnger.

You may owe the teacher clean up time due to the glitter
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 5:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2009