hits bites scratches and throws his head back

My 1year old son drives me nuts! When he doesn't get his way he has to hurt who ever is close to him. When ever I try to put him in time out he throws his head back and is scratching the crap out of me... What do I do...

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like my son! But, he does have his sweet moments. First of all. I don't think a 1 year old understands timeout..I mean he might to a certain point but, not well enough. What I try to do with my son is I hold him until he stops. And then the SECOND he stops I let him go. That way he knows that if he is calm he can be let go. there is NO WAY he would sit in time out! He head butts me every day and bites and scratches. He does it when he is upset but he also does it when he is playing..So I don't think he his actually meaning to be mean..Just take it one day at a time.
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• You put him in time out and leave him there, and if he leaves his time out place, you put him back, and restart the timer. You keep doing this until he stays in time out for the full minute/two minutes/however long his time outs are. Don't sit in time out with him. He's old enough to know that hitting and scratching are not acceptable behaviors. You need to show him what you expect of him, and how you want him to behave or he'll never learn.
    Anonymous

• I cant hold him he attacks me lol and as for the time out my sons doctor told me to put him in the high chair for a minute
    beautiful2257

Answer by beautiful2257 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• He attacks me to! My husband does this with him and he sits in his lap and watches cartoons and plays calmly!! He he is starting to sit with me now! He is still really bad don't get me wrong! he climbs on my niece and claws at her and trys to bite her. And he does this to me. But, he is just playing when he does it. I don't think he is old enough to know the difference between nice and mean..ya know.. It is something we have to teach them. Maybe its just me that feels that way. But, he is ALWAYS this way so.. He also use to hit us in the face when we hold him and he still does a little. I have to hold his arm down and look at him and say "no briar that is not nice" and he eventually stops..He completely stoped doing it to my husband when he started doing that and he no longer grabs his glasses and throws them across the room!! ha ha...they are just babies and I think he will grow out of it once he can communicate better
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• When he bites or scratches immediately tell him No, you do not bite/scratch/hit and then put him in his crib or playpen or someplace he can not get out and walk away for a minute or two so he understands this is bad behavior. Put him someplace he can not get out with no toys, etc. Just for a minute or two at this young age. Hopefully it is just a phase he is going thru. Good luck Mama.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2009