Was your child's arm sore after getting the regular flu shot?

My 8 year old daughter got the regular flu shot today in one arm and her chicken pox vaccine in the other. The other arm is fine, but the one she got the flu shot in is very sore and hurts when she moves it. It also has a small bruise where they gave the shot. She has physical problems with her hips and was having a bad day to begin with, so maybe already feeling a little tired and irritated is making it worse. Just wondering if anyone else had the same reaction?

This is not a discussion on whether or not you agree with shots. I just want to make sure this is normal. Thanks, mommies, in advance for your help!

momofroni

Asked by momofroni at 9:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Health

• The arm being sore is very normal and a common complaint, I had my flu shot and had them do it in the left so I could still wait tables. It was sore for about a week and I had a headache and my head felt like it was under pressure but I took Tylenol for it and it was fine. My kids had their shots too and they said the same thing about the arm, keep her moving it will help relieve some of the discomfort. That way it doesn't get stiff. She doesn't have to move it much.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• That is a very normal complaint. Make sure she keeps moving her arms to keep the muscles from getting stiff. I used a warm compress and Advil after my flu shot, as did my son. It will be sore for about a week.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Have her take some tylenol and put a bag of ice where the shot was to ease the soreness.
    Anonymous

• If it's bruised I think whoever gave the shot did it a little too hard! wow.

My sons had theirs and complained about their arms being sore (H1N1 in one arm, seasonal in the other). I gave them some Tylenol and made them move their arms around as much as possible. Favoring it will make it sore longer. Don't let her favor it too much.

Either the bag of ice, or a warm cloth....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2009