Have you ever had to give Oseltamivir 15mg (for flu) to your infant?

Hello Thank you for taking your time to answer my question..
My 10 month old baby got diagnosed with the flu today and the doc put her on oseltamivir 15mg 2xa day for 5 days..
Have you ever had to give this to your baby? and if so, what were the side effects?symptoms? Were you nursing your baby at the time? Thank you!

GodBless_MyKids

Asked by GodBless_MyKids at 10:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son hasn't been on it, but I give it to my patients (I'm a pediatrics nurse)
    The general name for the medication you are asking about is Tamiflu, which you have probably heard of.
    There isn't much reseach out on the use of this medication in children under a year old, so the side effects are unknown.
    But general side effects for most patients are mild... usually some tummy upset, nausea and vomiting. If you baby is taking baby foods I would give the medication after a meal so that she has a full tummy which will cause less nausea.
    With any medication there is always a risk for allergic reaction, but it's pretty rare.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• If you are nursing I would not do anything. Nursing is teh best protection. I would look at the manufactures insert before I gave anything to my child.

When I had my son I swithced over me and my son to homeopathic medicine-no side effects. Depending on your childs symptoms depends on what you give. Hylands is great. I used their teething tablets.

http://www.hylands.com/products/flu.php

All drugs have side effects.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2009