Should I worry if my baby ate poop?

I try... I really do... however, my lil bitty is starting to explore (he scoots really well now) and my toddler is forever stripping down, especially after he's gone poo.

Here's my dilemma... the other day, Jake (toddler) had taken his diaper off and tried to throw it away, but missed the trash can (its under the sink) and some of the poop got on the floor. I was in the process of getting the oldest ready for bed, so when I came back in the room, Ben (lil bitty) had 2 fistfuls of poop and it was all over his face, and yes, in his mouth. He was eating it!! Eww. There are a few other nonfood items he eats, but this is the grossest. Should I be worried that he ate poop?

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 2 yr old once when poop in the little potty and my 1 yr old thought it was chocolate or something and took a bite. She cried. lol I was SO grossed out. I scrubbed out her mouth with her toothbrush and then bought her a new one. lol
    She was fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• lol dont worry. My son took his poopy diaper off in his crib and had it ALL OVER.. he is find dont worry!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• This is baby3, I never went thru this b4! Its just so... gross!!!! Ew. I just had to say that... and I'm not REALLY freaking out, its been a few days since it happened and he seems fine, but I just worry that he might catch a disease from eating poop. *gag* Yuck. Sorry...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 10:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I def would have called the Dr. I would think that could be very bad.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 10:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• There is E. Coli in "poop"- a normal bacteria that helps your food be digested. It is meant to be in the colon- not in the mouth. This is the same organism that can cause gastroenteritis after eating at a bad restaurant (ie- the person preparing the food did not wash hands after using bathroom). Having said that, I also think that the exposure, while it may not be pleasant, will only make him stronger. Our bodies have an amazing immune system that, for most people, can take care of itself.
    Anonymous

• All you can do is wait to see if he gets sick and if he does at least you'll know why and the docs will know exactly what and how to treat. :) Who knows how much or if any was really ingested.
    Anonymous