Would you force your child/children to take karate classes?

I have two boys who have difficulties with attention - in school, at home, etc. My one son has real problems with getting anything done in school and all the interventions for the past three years haven't helped. We even tried meds (against my own beliefs) because his attention problems are sooo... sooo... great. I have heard that karate is supposed to be helpful - they did it when they were younger (3-5 & 3-7) but I didn't see much help (maybe they were too young??) Would you try it again if you were in my shoes? They complain it is boring (as are many things to them-especially school) but I wonder if it would help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• i wouldnt force them to do something that they didnt like. im sure u can find another alternative that they can enjoy!!! Good Luck im sure it will get better!!!
    tinkerbell319

Answer by tinkerbell319 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Maybe try talking to them and asking what they'd like to try. Let them know that they can choose but that once they start they have to stick it out for a certain period of time..like maybe a season. My parents let me quit things way too early just because of minor complaints (karate, dance, volleyball) and that is a horrible trait that I fight to overcome as an adult.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• well, at this point I would probably try anything. Meds didn't work, they are probably really smart and need to be challenged.. I see my only 2 year old already looking around the room as if everything is a bore to him and he too is SOOO active and has yet to sit long enough for a commercial but I do notice if we have a really busy routine/schedule, things are actualyl better with him
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i did karate when i was younger. i loved it. im gonna put my son in it when hes old enough.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't force them into karate, but suggest another form of martial arts.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• YES. It is very good for the problems you described. They develop physical and mental strength as they progress.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Try WTF taekwondo (NOT ITF)

Let them view an upper belt lever class where the people are sparring before signing them up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I think that karate is a wonderful idea! What about gymnastics? Its also physical and constructive.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No.

There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:17 AM on Nov. 19, 2009