My 5 yr old son gets very frustrated if he tries to perfom a task and is

not successful.. He will try to accomplish the task and then he just '"freaks out" and you cannot console him or try to reason with him.these are minor things like crafts, building sets and stencils. . Im worried he may have temperment issues.

JODIMILLER

Asked by JODIMILLER at 10:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ours gets very frustrated too, but not so much as he did before. I had a long talk with him about how one isn't always good at things right away, and often needs a lot of practice. Then I would tell him that his try was a good practice run and the more he does it the better he will get. When he does this now I just remind him of this and tell him how he has to try (or congratulate him for trying) and remind him he'll get better with practice. SHOW this to him when he actual does something better that he once wasn't so good at (for mine it was things like getting dressed, tying his shoes, reading, etc that I use to illustrate this to him.) Every now and then I find him repeating my little "you need to practice to be good at things" speech to explain why he doesn't necessarily do something well.
    Anonymous

• My daughter does this, she overstresses things for herself. I make her stop and take deep breaths and then I make her laugh and we try again.
    GraceOfMyHeart

Answer by GraceOfMyHeart at 3:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son is 6 and in 1st grade and he is like this. I would like suggestional, also.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My 6 year old is like this. A perfectionist. (he gets that from me) What seemed to help my son is knowing that NO ONE can do things right the first time. For instance, he was getting mad that it took him so long to write his name when I could print mine so fast. I explained to him that I have been printing my name for way way longer and practiced it alot.

He also gets frustrated when he doesn't think he draws very well. So we got out our school books and showed him our grade 1 art and report cards.

Alot of the freaking out is to do with internal negative talk, at least it was for my son. Try to talk about it outside of when he is freaking out so it can be more calm. Ask about how he feels when it happens and what he thinks will help. They are surprisingly intune with their emotions alot of times!
    CyberBri

Answer by CyberBri at 11:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My 5 yr old is also like that with things like crafts and coloring. His teacher said that it is very normal for kids that age to be perfectionists and all we can do is to tell them they are doing their best. Very frustrating.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2009