How can I discipline my 15-month daughter?

I have a 15-month girl who wont listen to us (my husband and I) at all. She screams whenever wants something and wont stop doing that unless gets what she wants, more over, if we tell her not to do something, for instant, not to turn off the TV she ignores us and will do it. We tried not to tell her "don't" all the time but encourage her many times when she does good things.

I read Suppernanny's advice about naughty spot but don't know that in what age I can start it? in addition, we talk to her firmly when she does naughty thing, try to stay calm to make her follow the order but it doesn't work. Please help me:(

NasMoj

Asked by NasMoj at 10:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I also have a 15 month old, and at this time they are just now beginning to learn, so please be patient. the #1 thing I have learned is be consistent. Don't give in. I know it's tiring, and yes they will not "get it" over night...or for that matter for a while, but this is an every day learning process, and the more you are consistent with them, the more they will learn. While your 15 month old isn't quite at the age of really, fully understanding, she is gradually learning. She's not ready for the "naughty spot" yet, but at age 2 you should be able to practice that. Right now, it's all about being consistent. A little tap on the leg and a "No" does pay off..Even if you have to do it several times.

Anonymous

• Hmm my son is 15 months. I think at that age you still have to redirect them to more appropriate behavior. Kids don't understand discipline at this age. I don't think the naughty spot will have much effect at this age. I remember when my daughter was about that age she was always turning off the tv. We got this plastic shield to go over the buttons. Eventually she figured out how that she could push on the shield to turn off the TV. lol

Just have patience momma. She is still little and still learning. :-)
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 11:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I don't agree with "a little tap on the leg" - I don't believe in hitting kids - especially a one year old. That just teaches violence as a way of control. That being said - my daughter who is now two was very ready for a "time-out" spot. Just as we have done with our older kids. One minute for each year of age - it worked for us - with all three of our kids - even at that age. When kids are young like that they crave your attention and a minute feels like forever to them- so it does get their attention and it can work if you do it right - I agree with super nanny's version - I don't agree with saying they were "naughty" but just to say - you did not listen to mommy/daddy, etc. I do agree with not "giving in" just to quiet your child - this one you will live to regret - don't do it unless you want alot of trouble down the road - my friend did it for years and boy is she paying the price now. Good luck - it gets easier:)
    Anonymous

• I have a 20 month old daughter and when i first started teaching her right from wrong i started with firm no's and if she started to throw a temper tantrum i would put her in her crib until she got over it (as long as it wasnt very long) as she has gotten a little older i know put her in a corner to let herself throw her temper tantrum. Apparently she understands the concept, because now a lot of times as she starts to throw a tantrum she goes to a corner. lol. At your daughters age, if she is like mine, she wouldnt sit still so i would use a playpen or something for a couple of minutes after telling her sternly no and why she shouldnt do that, that way she can not just get up and leave. she will understand after a couple of times. :) Goodluck!
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I suppose I'm lucky at this point, because when I say no, she looks and I shake my head and say no again. She will usually back up, so I say "thank you, good job." She smiles and claps.

I would say try redirection and maybe time-outs. A tap on the leg is only teaching the child that hitting is okay.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• get the movie "the happiest toddler on the block"...my friend used this and LOVED it and now her son is nicer and doesn't scream and have tantrums very often
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 12:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I think at that age you still have to redirect them to more appropriate behavior. Good advice anklebitr!

As a mother of older children I have to agree with the above comment. Being consistent is extremely important. It takes some patience, but it gets better.
    15 month olds are still babies. I know it seems like they're so big now, but the don't do things just to annoy you. They are curious and want to check everything out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2009