Opinions?

I just got into a argument with this woman on FB about spanking. She said If I spank my kids then they will be stupid. She says to take things away. Example: your child bites you. What do you do? Smack them, take their toy away, time out? I cannot understand how taking a toy away helps? WHat does that teach them? I think the next time a child takes their toy form them they would think they were being punished or something. Does this make any sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I believe that if you are going to spank it should not be out of frustration. In other words, you shouldn't be relieving your own frustrations by hitting your child.
    BTW - spanking doesn't make a child stupid!
    Personally, I don't spank or slap. Slapping is just disrespectful in my opinion....its not discipline.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090924231749.htm
    Anonymous

• I have not personally spanked my daughter, but I think that for the right kid in the right context it can be an effective punishment.

I use time out and it's effective for me, but I don't think that spanking is horrible or anything and it definately won't make a child stupid!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I was spanked as a kid and lived on the honor roll and got college scholarships. Is that the kind of stupid she meant? Maybe she needed a few good spankings as a kid so she wouldn't be the stupid one.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• it all depends on the child. for my daughter, the corner works miracles. if she cant be center of attention 24/7 then she freaks. so sitting her in the corner works for us. but if it doesnt work for you, then thats not the method you should use.
    just for kicks, we took all her toys out of her room when we told her all day to pick up her toys. she went 3 days without them just fine. clearly, thats not a sufficient punishment for her. we gave them back just so she wouldnt become bored and unruly. lol
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i think it applys for older children, like i have 8, 9 and 11 year old that understand the meaning when you take thier "toys" or 'things" away, but for younger children, it might not apply.

that woman that said "spanking makes children stupid" just wants to push her opinon on you and doesnt know better to keep her nose out of other pple's lives. maybe tell her to go preach on someone who cares and truly believes children can be made to be stupid by spanking them.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2009