What are some economists saying about health care bill?

In a boost to the Obama administration's efforts to frame health care reform as an economic boon, a group of 20 health economists sent a letter to the White House on Tuesday touting the fiscal results of passing reform legislation.

The group lists four specific elements of reform as crucial to controlling costs and righting the fiscal trajectory of the health care system's overhaul. They include making legislation deficit neutral (which describes both the House and Senate version of reform), including an excise tax on high-cost insurance plans (which is part of the Senate's version of reform, but not the House's version), creating an independent Medicare commission (also in the Senate bill), and general changes to the delivery system.

Has the full letter here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/17/economists-tout-health-ca_n_361469.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Where did I say anything about the right, Republicans, conservatives? Someone seems awful guilty and offended. Let's see I financially support a foster family (Christian based)- have done so for the last 15 years. 10% goes to a faith based group. Last 4 years I paid 25% of a student's private school tuition. My husband sits the board of 3 outreach charities. He also runs a company that is geared toward se challenged citizens- Weekly lunch maker for homeless citizens. Have you always been so distrusting of the government? Doesn't that indicate a system wide (rather than party specific) problem???

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Sweeeettttt...Huff post....REALLY ??!!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• yes, really, it has the full letter , also when grly posted form there it was a fine source

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It's actually a pretty solid article.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• LOL...I didnt see that, but I bet she posted it along with like 5 other sources. And this is crazy because I bet you can find an equal number who will say exactly the opposite.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• As far as the letter goes, I'm ambivalent. That's not a huge number of economists. And I'm not a fan of going to jail for lack of insurance. I don't think that people who can afford to pay for emergencies should be forced to purchase insurance.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Twenty whole economists! Wow! I can give you 20 business owners within a single square mile that will argue differently. These bills and their taxes/fees/penalties will kill jobs and cause additional financial burdens on people.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• So the present system doesn`t impose huge burdens on people and kill jobs. Of course it does, It forces people to go bankrupt and lose their homes as they are hounded to pay medical bills, unheard of in countries with UHC. Economists look at it from the point of view of the economy and the country as a whole. Your average business owner cannot see further than his own bank account. The Medical Professions are for it too.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• The Senate Bill hasn't even made it to the CBO yet. How can they say?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• *made it 'through' the CBO*
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2009