IS it fine to take a picture with your dead relative in the coffin?

Because my cousin and I did and I forgot not to smile, but we did it to have memories. I also filmed and took a picture of him. I saw several people doing that not just me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it's creepy and an invasion of the dead person's privacy. I know I wouldn't like pictures of my carcass floating around for people to gawk at years later. Death is very personal, and why would you want to remember someone in their coffin and not how they were full of life?

There are many sites around where people have posted pictures of Victorian era death photos. Most of them are of children, and although I find it repulsive, I also find it facinating and can't help but look. It's like a train wreck...

http://cogitz.com/2009/08/28/memento-mori-victorian-death-photos/

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I think its more common in some cultures than others. When we had the wake for my DH, one of his family members requested I snap a pic. I'm still very much wierded out by it, but if it helps them... then I don't see the harm.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I don't see why not. It's their last picture you'll even have a chance to take.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• When my husband's grandparents died they family took picture after picture. His grandma died first, when his grandpa died the family brought in a picture of his wife and had all the kids standing in front of the coffin for one last family photo. My husband and FIL were outraged. My FIL did what his siblings requested but he made it known he was not happy about it.

A few years later my FIL passed away. His intentions were known yet his brothers and sisters took pictures. My husband was livid because my MIL was very well aware of what her husband requested. We asked her about it and she said she couldn't stop them.

Personally, I won't even go up to a casket but IMO it is a personal choice. If the deceased said no I would honor his or her request. If they never said no I see no problem with it.
    Anonymous

• My cousin does this for her genealogy records, and since she's there with the camera, she also goes around and takes a picture of each flower arrangement with the card showing so you can tell later who sent what when writing the thank you notes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I think it's fine as long as you aren't creepy about it and aren't stepping on anyone's toes who was closer to the deceased than you may have been. My FIL has an entire photo album full of dead people...I find that a bit odd. LOL
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• creepy
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It used to be fairly common practice especially if the deceased were a child or infant. It just went out of practice in the last century.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My dad's side of the family always took pictures of the relatives in the coffin. And they'd make a bunch of copies and send them to all the relatives. My mom thought it was creepy. When my mom died, my dad's side of the family broke out the cameras. I didn't want them to take pictures but there was no way of stopping all of them. They had my brother and sister stand in front of the coffin, and finally I went and stood next to my brother and sister so that they would take the picture. Out of habit of smiling when someone takes your picture....yes, I smiled. I think I look crazy smiling in that picture in front of my mom in her coffin, and my brother and sister looking devastated, like we all were. You just reminded me of this.  The people who are important will know that we smiled out of habit.  Everyone else I guess will have something to gossip about.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I think it's disrespectful it's like the media rushing in to get a snap shot or something
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2009