Can a newborn baby put on 3 pounds in a week?

A friend had her baby on a Thursday weighing in at 7 pounds 12 ounces. She took the baby back to the doctor on Tuesday or Wednesday (about a week) and told me her baby now weighs 10 pounds! She was breast and bottle feeding in the hospital. I am not sure what she is doing now (breast, bottle or both.) I am just curious if this is at all possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure. Her baby might be a "healthy" eater. My Mom told me that I actually had gained weight, not lost any right after I was born. She said I was always hungry. I was also bottle fed.
    Anonymous

• I don't know, that sounds like a bit too much, I would think one of the scales was off, either at the hospital or at the doctor's office. My 1st was breastfed and gained weight his first week too, but he gained 4 oz, not 3 lbs. He gained 3 lbs his first month and I thought that was a lot!
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Anything is possible. It sounds like a lot. She didn't notice?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It's completely possible and it's most of the time perfectly fine. My older sister gained 4 lbs within the first 2 weeks as a newborn. She's always been very healthy. My LO born 2.5 weeks ago is almost 2 lbs above birth weight. If the child was born 7 lbs 12oz, it's closer to 2 lbs gained not 3. All it means is that the baby wants to eat eat eat. Praise the Lord for that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Def possible. Heck my baby gained 6 oz in the hospital. It just depends what kind of eater he is.
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 8:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Actually its not really 3 pounds... Its only 2 pounds and 5 ounces... figure in the difference in scales and its very possible that is the baby's current weight..
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 6:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2010