if you don't want your tax dollars supporting a religious non profit organization

do you mind if your tax dollars supports a religious welfare recipient?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• maybe i'm stupid, but i didn't know that tax dollars COULD support a non-profit organization...i thought it was on voluntary donation only? or is that the question.

then, yes i would mind it very much, i'd rather my hard earned money go to my own religion and my own beliefs.
    Anonymous

• Just because they are non-profit doesn't mean they aren't self funding!! I am on the board of directors of a non-profit and trust me we DO NOT get any kind of funding from any one's tax dollars!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i agree churches do not get money from the government

*this was really a question to a few who said the church is owned by the government and our tax dollars support the church*

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No I would not mind as long as the church actually needed it.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yeah, you should look up how the churches are getting their money. Most of them aren't getting tax dollars. Not that I care. Most of the churches where I live really do a lot of community outreach and I don't mind helping them out.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I believe what she is trying to say is that some of the people on welfare are religious. That would be like someone saying they don't want Atheists to able to get welfare, or atheists to be able to get help from churches. Muslems from Catholic charities ect.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• NO what I am trying to say is there is a false conception by a very few (as in one or two people) that believe because the churches aren't paying taxes the United States is supporting the churches.

I fully agree with you. I was blown away when someone said the government owned the churches and we are supporting them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Got cha.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I don't think your question did anything to clear up the confusion of whoever you were talking about. Non-profit isn't limited to the religious. If a church wanted to set up a soup kitchen with separate accounts from the church itself and apply for government grants to help them buy food that would be fine. Many many hospitals are religious in origin, and non-profit and they certainly accept medicare and medicaid patients. It all depends on the specifics of the organization. Are they evangelizing to increase membership, or are they doing good works for the benefit of the entire community?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• And they write off the part of that medicare and medicaid don't pay. It's for the good of the community.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009