Induction

Has anyone had an induction fail before? If so is it likely to work the second time? I went in yesterday morning and as of this morning I had no progress So I went home. I had plenty of painful contractions and very regular they just weren't doing anything for me. My doctor wants me to come back on thursday and try again. I just wonder if it doesn't work once why would it work a couple of days later?

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 12:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ok I was induced and first they tried the gel on my cervix, that didnt absolutely nothing. But then they do an IV of pictocin, and not sure why they would let you go home versus turning it up more. so I am assuming that you did not have the iv yet, thats what will work . If by some chance you still dont go into labor, then they will discuss other options like a section maybe. But try not to worry hon, it will be ok and soon you will be holding oyur sweet lil one. congrats!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• forgot to add, it doesnt work if your body just isnt ready , or "ripe" for delivery . they have you come back to try again because thats easier than putting you thru more in m=one day, less stressful for you and baby. after a few days, with the meds/ and or gel in you...your body may just take over. hoep that made sense.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No I did get pitocin as well. They started me with a tablet on my cervix every four hours and then I was on pitocin for twelve hours and they turned it up every half hour. I went in at a one and left the same.
    xredstarsx

Answer by xredstarsx at 12:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Wow, your body is NOOOOTTTT ready to let go of that baby!

Induction would work a few days later becase your body can be ready at any time. Have lots of sex! This will help :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Wow, my drs didn't send me home after trying induction with my 1st. Instead, they had me in labor for 1 whole day and night and then on the 2nd day they broke my water and did a c-section for failure to progress. I didn't get to hold my son for 2 days, I had a fever from prolonged labor ( and later found out also had excessive bleeding ) and he had respiratory issues from it all.
    They should've sent me home that 1st night and had me come back later!!
    izyandchrismomi

Answer by izyandchrismomi at 1:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Good that your doctor sent you home !Most would have continues pushing it and in a lot of cases the moms end up with c-sections. There is a chance it will fail again for the simple reason that your body is not ready yet.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i think this is a sign that you should let your baby decide when s/he is ready. those drugs stress out your baby so i'd advise you not to try again unless there is some serious reason why you need to be induced (which i'm doubting since your OB gratefully sent you home instead of c-section)

hang in there and good luck :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• you might also want to find out if the tablet was cytotek because that isn't approved for labor induction, has a picture of a pregnant woman on the bottle with an x through it meaning it's not for pregnant women, and increases risk of uterine rupture.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2009