Do you think that online networking sites should be for adults only?

Do you feel like FaceBook, Twitter, and even Cafemom should limit their memberships to adult only? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think there should be an age limit.....say 15?16? I think anything under that isn't right. My x and I had a HUGE argument because they set up my son with a facebook account when he turned 8! I see some of the posts and I do not want my child having to read that. Some posts can be worse than a "R" rated movie....if they can't watch the movie, don't be on facebook.

Instead, have a kid friendly facebook for kids until 18? or younger? Or a school site so friends can talk to each other....
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 12:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Well as far as Cafemom is concerned, if you are speaking of teens who are pregnant, no. A parent is a parent, no matter how old they are.

As far as Facebook, not really there either. I am a bit more hesitant on that one but the thing is that I just reconnected with a few of my cousins on there. One just today. When she added me, I told her I would have added her before, but I wasn't sure if she would have known who I was. She admitted that she probably wouldn't have, but that another cousin had explained who I was to her. IF we had had this 20 years ago when we were all teens, we would have all been better friends because we would have been in touch more. Instead of seeing one another at the occassional wedding and funeral or family reunion. In fact this was an issue in my family when a younger cousin wondered why a girl in his school was at a funeral and realized they were closely related, he had a crush on her.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I did set my oldest up with an account, mostly for the games, but he also does not have access to his password. So I know when he's on and what he's doing because I supervise. Also, none of his contacts are friends, they are relatives who are older. He's 14.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No, I think parents need to actually parent and supervise what their children are doing. It is not the Internets place to protect your children that is your responsibility.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My son gets a hour of computer time a day. He has a facebook page and a myspace. I didn't allow him to get either until he was 14. I have his passwords and I check his pages often. I'm also his friend on both so I get anything he sends out. I think they're okay as long as a parent is looking over their shoulder. He has yahoo messenger too, but all of his messages are archived and I go through them too. He's never given me a reason not to trust him, but if he knows there is a chance I might read something I know he's think twice before posting something. Now he has a lot of family on facebook (grandparents and such), so I know he'll behave on there. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No. I think parents need to parent! Parents need to be aware and involved in what their children do. That includes where they are on the internet. The solution isn't more rules and laws. The solutions is parents taking responsibility for raising their child.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• If you don't know how to monitor your child online, you have no business having a computer in your house where they can get to it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No. Many adults behave like children so that would not change anything. Look at Cafemom.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2009