Latter-Day Saints??

Just wondering what they/you are all about?? I've always seen those PSA type adds on TV, but just never thought to ask what are your beleifs. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's okay OP. I didn't really feel like I was defending it as much as I as laughing at the misconception the other poster had....it's a good thing she went anon! LOL! Just plain silly! The thought of someone checking on you and looking out for you being cult- like and offensive to is funny!

Yep, LDS are the Mormons. The ACTUAL name of our church is The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.....Mormon is just a widely used nickname. : )
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• mormon.org
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Wait... latter day saints are Mormons??? Really? I had no clue! thanks

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I think they are a cult and very controlling. A good friend of mine belonged to their church and he got tired of it after a year. They always want to know your business and constantly come to the house to check up on you. Don't know of any other church that does this. And women are second rate in their church. Not supposed to work outside the home, have a ton of children, be a good wife etc. And their beliefs are based on things Joseph Smith added to the OT and NT.
    Anonymous

• "They always want to know your business and constantly come to the house to check up on you."

Seriously, that's bad? My "visiting teachers" are 2 women from my ward that come to my home once a month to give me a mini lesson and make sure my family is doing well and always ASK if there is anything they can do for me in any way. I also go visiting teaching myself.

We also have "home teachers" - men that basically do the same thing as the women. I am so thankful that we do this as a service for each other in our church. I know if I'm ever in a bind I can call my visiting teachers or home teachers and they will be here!

What is wrong with someone making sure your family is doing well and that you have enough food? ( especially during these economic times) What is wrong with someone asking if you need help with your child at all that week, or seeing if a single mother needs help with her yard or firewood?
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• As far as being second rate............um....women are put up on a pedestal! The mother is the most important thing as far as LDS members are concerned. I have worked outside the home my whole marriage. Only recently have I been able to stay at home with my son and I am SO happy to be able to stay home with him! We only have 1 little guy and I don't know if we'll be having another. So.............that's pretty much that.

Our church isn't based off things that Joseph Smith added to the bible. That's just laughable. Please do better homework before you say a whole bunch of completely untrue or distorted things.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• And....Mormon.Org is a very good place for questions. Or just go to the LDS Moms group here on cafemom! The ladies there are always willing and able to answer any questions you have!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Thanks Nika75. I was just looking for a run down on LDS b/c I just didn't know what it was all about. I hate when you ask an informational question and you get slander and speculation. I didn't realize it was Mormon.  I appreciate your answers!!

Anonymous

• Oh, and sorry you had to defend your beliefs, that was uncalled for!!

Anonymous

• Nika 75 you are so right I have been a meber since 14. They come check on you, help you with anything you need help with. If your sick they visit and bring food for you. hey truely are the nicest people ever. They are not a cult you do not have to agree with everything, I certainly don't and women are revered. And do not believe what you are told about them being prejudice either there are plenty of members that re black, white, hispanic, Laos.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2009