How many of you have/had a non-hormonal IUD?

I was considering this as an option because it seems like it would have less side effects as the hormonal birth control would. If you have this, or have had it, can you tell me if you have any bad side-effects, and what they were. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Good question :o)

I'm trying to figure out what I will do for birth control after the baby is born. My husband is thinking of getting a vasectomy, but he's still so young... I don't know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I've had the Mirena (hormones) 2x's and currently have the Paragard (non-hormonal). I didn't like the Mirena at all. The hormones made it so that I couldn't shed baby weight and I was cranky alot and didn't feel like myself. Since I've had the Paragard, I've shed my baby weight and feel more balanced.
    With the Paragard, I think the only time you would have any bad side effects is if you are sensitive to copper. I love mine and wouldn't go back to the Mirena.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• A long time back now I had the old copper 7 IUD, that was a nightmare, they recalled it, and all the doctors offices to have it removed were full for at least a year! I couldn't get in to have it removed. By the time I finally got in to have it removed I had scare tissue grown all the way around it a 1/2 inch thick and it was stuck in the uterus. It took having surgery to have it removed and I just feel lucky that I did not get any of what they recalled it for. Those were causing Cancer and Sterility.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 10:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I had one yrs ago and it was not a good match for me. The spotting did not stop for me and I had to have it removed. I love the idea of it though and think it is a good option and you won't know if it works for you until you try it. They have come a long way and seem to be a good option to me.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Love my copper iud. Just as good as getting your tubes tied, but easier and cheaper. Got mine two years ago and don't even know its there. and they are good for ten years. So I will have to have one more put in, since both my mother and grandmother were still menstruating at 50, but still worth it.

phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 3:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I have one. In the beginning I had a lot of heavy bleeding--I never had periods like that prior to use. So that was it. I have had it for 16 years. One replacement with it. I am starting to not have periods every month, then spot every single day of the following month. I don't think this has any thing to do with the I.U.D.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2009