Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I move out???

I am currently living with my inlaws and desperatley want to move out but My husband does not make enough money he says....We have one child and another on the way ....and I was wondering how much money would it take for us to be able to move out like how much should we save in order to do so?My husband does not want to live in gov. housing or anything like that ...I dont as well because of crimes and such but would rather live in a shack then here ...I am starting to think that is going to be our only option because all he has is a part time job ???please help thank you


Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • If your husband can't find full time work he is going to have to get one or more additional part time jobs. This is what many people are having to do these days. Your husband is right about not living in government housing. It is a nightmare with people roaming around and noisy all night long, cars coming and going and people you don't want around your kids, fires, guns, fighting. It's not worth it. It's not a life you choose.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • Well when it comes to rent, it is advised you make around 3x the amount of your rent payment. And then after that factor in how much utilities and such would cost. Plus you will probably need first and last months rent and a security deposit. I would factor in all your current costs plus rent against your earnings and see where you are at! Good luck I lived with my inlaws for a bit I know it can be HELL!

    Answer by SweetPea05 at 2:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • Look at a few apartments. Write a budget: rent, renters insurance, medical insurance, car insurance, retirement savings, college funds, electricity, heat, water, internet, food, etc. Once you have a handle on your monthly "nut", then you need to get some money saved: furniture, dishes, linens, at least two months rent (first month and security deposit) etc.

    Good luck!

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • If he only has a part time job I don't see how you would ever make enough money to support a family of four. Have you tried looking for a job to fill in the hours when he's not working? Is he looking for something full time?
    Also - have you looked into Section 8 housing? Sometimes it's really not in that bad of an area. I feel for you - I love my inlaws but I could never live in someone else's home!

    Answer by missanc at 8:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • You need to call around to see what rent is in your area. Also check into utilities and what food will cost you. Your expenses will go up. Rent in my area is 1000 a month for a 900 sqft, 2 bedroom and 1 bath town home in a so so neighborhood. Most around here want first and last months rent. Renters insurance is about 200-300 a year. Utilities are all through one company (electricity, gas, trash, water, sewage and phone) they run about 180 a month combined and add another 70 for basic cable and Internet. Groceries for my family of 3 is 400 a month we eat from scrath meals. So here in my town you would need 2k just to get the rental so at minimum you will want 3k so you have a little bit of a cushion in case you have a rough month more would be better.

    So just for the basics here in my small town in Iowa you would need at least 2k a month take home. He should get another job you should too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • Not all government housing is in crime related areas. My husband and I lived in a nice, quiet, crime free neighborhood in rent assisted housing. Don't go by stereotypes for government housing. Go to and search for apartments in your area. Do a very basic search, so that you get as many options as they offer. Then seek out the lowest costing home of the size you require and go from there. You'll need first and last months rent and probably a downpayment. If they don't consider first and last month's rent a downpayment. Then factor in any utilities you have to pay in that complex. Some just have you pay electric, whereas others have you pay water and electric. Sum up all of the money and that's how much it'll cost you to move. Plus any expenses needed to rent a moving van if needed.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • It's nice you wanna be out on your own and omg I could not live with inlaws!!! (forget that) but you have to have so much money to do it. My landlord has raised my rent 3 times in 2 yrs. I pay $900 but you have to figure in furniture,food,getting the power turned on in your name,water and gas with a part time job there is no way you can save if you have a child and another on the way he needs to get a better job and you probably need to pick up a part time job as well to be able to rent your own place these days just feel grateful you have a roof over your head and your inlaws was kind enough to let you live there I would stick it out until he can find a better job and you can find a part time job :)

    Answer by chica679 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

  • I agree about section 8 housing, I don't know where you live but I lived in a building once that sectioned off some of the apartments for section 8 and it was a great neighborhood and brand new apartments. A lot of times you can find section 8 housing in neighborhoods or apartment buildings you otherwise wouldn't be able to afford.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2009