my 2 yr old has alot of temper tanturms and its driving my insane especially since its over a binkie. We should have broke him from it a while ago but b/c we didn't i know this is what we are dealing with. but any tips on how to get through this without all the screaming and fits he's having? ive heard to jst take it away and never give it back but if there is a way id like to gracefully ween him off it. so he dont think he did something wrong to have it taken away permently.

kalebsmom07104

Asked by kalebsmom07104 at 2:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Set a date and mark it on the calendar. Each day, take him to the calendar and cross off the date and talk about what's going to happen when you reach the special day. Build it up to where he KNOWS what is going to happen and he will be without his binkie. Then, when that day comes, be sure you gather up all of the binkies and let him see you dispose of them. I've even heard of parents holding little ceremonies and then walking them out to the dumpster. GL :o)
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I never weaned any of mine until they were at least 2, so no worries.

Put it up and only let him have his pacifier in his bed. If he wants it during the day, he needs to go in his bed and when he is done let him back up (and put it back up). Eventually he will decide that play time is more fun than having to lay in bed. We started a little earlier, which was probably easier, but it should still work if you're consistent. Then after a while you take it from naptime and only use it at bedtime or just take it all together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• We started by having DD put her pacifier back in bed each morning and after naps - if she put it there herself, she was fine, but if we took it from her the world was going to end :) Once she got used to that, I snipped the tip off and told her that it was broke, but that she could still use it if she wanted to. She stubborned her way through for about a week before giving it to me to throw away. She's not said a word about it since, nor have we had any problems with her taking her baby brother's pacifier.
    Similar to what the PP said - a friend of mine tied her son's pacifier to a string attached to a kitchen drawer - the only place he could have it was standing next to the drawer (not even laying comfy in his bed). She said it only took a couple of days before she noticed that he wasn't hanging out at that drawer ever.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:03 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i like the drawer idea but i would try to think of a safer place i would be afraid the drawer would get pulled out
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Wow what a good idea, the drawer. My daughter has never used one and she is 20 months. When I decide to have another baby I will have to use CM as a ref. book. Thanks girls!
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 9:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• my dd is almost 3 and still on it!!i hated. she only wears it for bed. am working at that but she is violent. one night i try not giving it to her, i ened up with a black eye cuz in her tantrum she kicked me. ouch
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Maybe try to take it away a bit' more each day. Jst let um' have it for nap and bed then just one, and then give a stffy instead and other toys they like.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 12:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• thanks guys these are great ideas. i will try some of them and keep you updated. thanks again
    kalebsmom07104

Answer by kalebsmom07104 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2009