HOW CAN YOU GO GREEN & HEALTHY ON A BUDGET?

Where can you get less expensive natural products? What brands are you using and what stores are you finding them at? I have to go to three or four stores to find decent prices and I'm not always happy with how they work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Health

• First, the word natural is unregulated and meaningless; uranium is natural!

You can start to green your life with simple changes. Use cloth towels and napkins instead of paper. Cook from scratch. Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat and dairy. Use dried beans and lentils; they are really cheap and really healthy and really versatile.

Make some or all of your own cleaners: This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

Feel free to contact me offlist with questions, for recipes, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2009