15 month old not sleeping

My 15 month old has been waking up every 2 hours for the past 2 weeks. Usually I let him cry it out for a bit, but lately he has been crying more and more for longer periods of time with less sleeping in between. When I go and check on him he signs that he is hungry. If I offer him food he doesn't want it. He will take a water bottle, but not a sippy cup. I have tried letting him cry it out, holding him, giving him a water bottle, giving him food - everything. It is getting worse and worse. Any advice or suggestions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's signing that he's hungry, but not wanting to eat? Could be gas making his tummy hurt -try mylicon drops.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:06 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• How is he sleeping during the day? I only got ontop of our trouble just like this (can really wear you down can't it!) when I gave ours more sleep during the day. if they get over tired they can become overly sensitive and anxious, tense and headachy (just like us) and while they need to sleep, sound sleep becomes physically impossible to have (just like us). I read The No Cry Sleep Solution which put me onto feeding ours really well during the day (NO sugar or high white carbs)) and giving them more sleep (2 short sleeps or one long 2+ hour nap at least at this age). I didn't really apply anything else in the book (I don't mind getting up once to nurse still). Just that made ALL the difference. FORCE sleep on your son more during the day (even going for long drives if you have to to begin with if he doesn't settle in his crib) and nurse him more then aswell (or formula/milk drinks)? Do feel for you Momma. JES xxx
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 6:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Does he have all of his teeth yet? Maybe he's teething.
    Possibly a sore throat? My son was sick a few weeks ago and he would wake with a sore throat and he kepts reaching in his mouth... I don't think he knew what was going on.
    Or like Tiffany said, maybe his tummy hurts or is upset and he doesn't know the difference between that and being hungry.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It's common for breastfeeding toddlers to nurse at night. I bet he is hungry and you just haven't figured out the food he wants. You might try feeding him something high in protein right before bed, that's supposed to help with sleep.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Wow I feel for ya, I would definitally call the pediatrician first and most. You can always and I beleive this ALWAYS call the nurse on duty at the pedia-.'s office and they can help. His moutn might hert from teething, he may have a soar throat or strep?? I think that is rare @ his age though. Is there anything going around with the toddlers he plays with? Is he going to bed to early? I would make sure he eats a big dinner before bed & has a nice bath , then qiet time to calm his little self and then try going to bed.Little one's also have night terror's at that age and go through sepperation anxiety too. Maybe a short nap during the day will help sleep pattern @ night, I hope I helped a bit, good luck.Remember this to shall pass.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 12:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2009