screaming for fun

My son will be 1 on saturday :). He has decided now that its fun to scream while we are out to eat. Its not a mad scream, just a hey im here scream. Its our fault because he does it at home and sometimes we scream back because he thinks its funny. Now I need to break him of it, at least while we are out. We were so embarrassed last night. We tried telling him no and he looked so confused. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 6:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When he starts doing that at the resturant and he wont stop. You or your hubby take him out to the car and put him in the car seat a nd tell him you'll take him home....do you want to go home? Tell him that he cant go back in there till he stops being so loud. I know that he's little but i found that bringing my own coloring books and an entire box of crayons. Try packing a bag with his favorite toys. Find what makes him stop...a toy, a juice up...something like that.
    Dont be embarrased. Kids and parents have to learn stuff. I have more ideas for you if you would like more.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 7:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Try teaching him to SSHHHHH and put your finger over your mouth. I had to do that with my little one and now she does not scream out in public anymore. Good luck! All you really need is a distraction for him.
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Well I think everything I teach my children takes time.Usually I start easy, like when we are out to eat anywhere else we use our quiet voice. Put a finger over your mouth and make it a game with the shhh, as long as he will still be quiet.You might want to back down from the screaming at home a bit to, mixed messages make it harder.Remember progress not perfection.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 11:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2009