have you ever 'seen dead people' ?

ok, yeah i know..but a post about photographing dead loved ones at their funerals sparked this question. i'm not talking about ghosts or spirits..or am i? in my adult life, there have been several occurances where i did a double-take on someone, thinking, ''OMG! that looked like...that was...it couldn't be..but she/he's... wtheck?'
i know the mind can play tricks, and there's probably some quasi-psychological reason for thinking i'm looking at someone who's passed on. but it happened just the other day, again! i even followed this lady around the store: her physical shape, hair style, posture, gait, even her clothing looked sooooo similar. when she turned and i saw her face, i nearly peed my pants!!!
anyone?

thehairnazi

Asked by thehairnazi at 8:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've come up with some fantastical stories of why the person is not really dead: Someone drugged them to make it look like they were dead (I never get to the WHY they would do this) and then after the funeral, they came and stole them, revived them and when they woke up, they had no memory of who they really were and so this person who took them gave them a new identity.

I've even thought about them being buried alive and after digging themselves out, they were stark raving made and lost their memory and now they are walking around not knowing their former life or their family! Kind of like those zombies in Haiti.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I've done this many times. I think I see my grandmother all the time, but she's been gone for 10 years! It's like you know they're dead, but part of you still thinks 'hey! maybe they faked their death and are pretending to be someone else!'

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:25 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I KNOW!!!! that was totally my thought with an ex-salon owner/semi-bff..she was in such a financial and personal slump when she suffered a ruptured aortic aneurysm! for years i swore i saw her driving around town..its been few years since i've 'seen' her, now. however, this lady the other day, died about 5 months ago, 80?yo, alzheimers/complications/etc...weird, huh?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:30 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• 'the serpent and the rainbow' kinda thing..

you know what's crazier than figuring out how^ they did it, is i sort of wanted to ask this lady if i could smell her..the old lady i knew, wore a perfume that i know i would recognize, and she drank bourbon...a lot. i knew if i smelled her, i'd know. ewww!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yes... Many times to all of those explanations...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• That's never happened to me.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 9:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It's never happened to me, but I would say it was a coincidence..
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 11:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• It took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant, but I think I get what you are saying. It has never happened to me, but my mother swore she saw her dead aunt at a store a few years ago. I chalk it up to the way our memory works, we see someone who closely resembles the dead person & our memory transfers little details of the person we are seeing to the person we haven't seen in a while, making us think they look exactly the same.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Not in the same instance you did, but yes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I got serious chills a few years back in that situation. The little sister of one of my school friends worked in a local convenience store. I went in one day while visiting my home town and saw her, said hi and everything but she gave me a funny look so I figured she just didn't remember me since it had been some years since I'd seen her. A few minutes after I left I stopped dead and felt all the blood drain from my face. The girl I was thinking of had died a couple of years before hand, massive asthma attack while on vacation. I told people about it and I'm not the first one. Frankly it seems kind of twisted that they'd hire someone who looked so similar a few months after the first girl died, I don't know how the manager did that.

I used to see my dad everywhere till one day I realized that all the guys I were seeing had both their arms and my dad lost his right arm years before he died. Doesn't happen now.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2009