Homemade?

When you contribute food to a party/etc, do you tell people it's "homemade" even if all you did was open a box mix or a tube of premade dough?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• making it from scratch? using real ingredients like flour, butter, sugar instead of hydrogenated oils and other things you can't pronounce :)
    toola

Answer by toola at 8:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• That doesn't count as home made?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:45 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• What's the difference between a tube of Pillsbury dough you slice and bake and a bag of Chips Ahoy? They have the same amount of salt and chemicals in them both, and you put about as much effort into both, save dirtying a pan. What exactly is "made" at home about them?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I was just kidding guys! You guys take your cookies very seriously :)

If I bake from scratch I say "from scratch" but I don't think it usually comes up. I'm going to make some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies this week from scratch and I'm so excited about them!!!! (It always tastes better from scratch too - on top of the pronunciation issues!)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I have a friend who thinks because she cooked it at home it's "homemade". She will make hamburger helper beef stroganoff and brag about her "homemade" beef stroganoff. Every time she says she made something "homemade" I just want to laugh my a$$ off.
    jat08167

Answer by jat08167 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i can taste the difference in homemade and pillsbury
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• That reminds me of one day my Uncle was visiting and when he was on his way out the door he said it was time to go make some home-made chili. I asked him what he puts in it, and he said "well I open the can and put it in a pan on the stove." So then I said 'that is not home-made it is canned'. He replied "well I am in my home and I made it so it is home made'.
    If you do buy some 'pre-made' items and cook them yourself I guess technically you could call them 'Home cooked/ home made'... cause you did cook them in your home. -- lol.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My mom always makes chocolate chops from frozen dough, and let me tell you they are damn good, but we always joke about it, asking my mom is spent the day slaving over the hot oven. I personally make all my cookies from scratch but anything else is usually not from scratch and I do not claim that they are made from scratch but no one ever asks anyway, as long as it tastes good, no one cares.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No. Actually everyone comments on my great tasting brownies. I always tell them "Its just Betty Crocker."
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:00 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• No...I will usually tell people where I bought it if I end up buying something.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2009