When will this ease up?

I've never been heartbroken like this before. I ended things with my boyfriend of 8 months, because our relationship just wasn't going anywhere (I'm 31 and he's 33). Anyway, I'm completely devastated. I've cried every day for two weeks straight. How long will it take to get over this? I hate feeling this way, I'm mad, I'm sad, I'm depressed. I actually screamed last night just to get it all out. I want to hit something. I want him to feel as bad as I do. (He doesn't, trust me) I just want this to STOP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Think about the fact that he doesn't give a rat's ass and let that piss you off. Once you get pissed off, hate will come afterwards and easily. It won't be much longer, you'll feel normal again. Find some stuff to do that keeps you busy. Paint, write, listen to music and SING. Forget him.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 8:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• sounds like you weren't ready to end it. It's all on you. You had a reason for ending it now buck up and enjoy the single life. Remind yourself what you didn't like about him and your relationship and then make a list of what kind of qualities you want in a man..and a relationship. A lot of times people stay in relationships because they are comfortable and it feels nice to have someone love you. If this was really your idea to break up then wouldn't you feel relieved? Or was it a nasty incident? And wanting him to feel as bad as you do is mean. Ever heard the saying hurt people hurt people? It's a shame to let one person mess up your emotional world so badly. I'd start looking for other guys if I were you like ASAP. Nothing serious just start flirting, its fun and distracting.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 8:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• it will stop eventually, just remember that. im trying too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I go by the 1/3 rule. You get 1/3 the time you were together to be upset, then you'll feel better. So about 2.3 months or 13 weeks.

Go on a cheeseball blind date that some stupid person from your office sets you up on. Buy yourself some shoes.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You put eight months into it. Those feelings you invested won't disappear overnight. You are grieving over a death of a relationship. You have to go through all the steps of grief before you can move on. That takes times. Meanwhile, you could read something like the book How to Fall Out of Love. That might be helpful. It's a paperback and easy read. If the library doesn't have it you can find it online for about a buck.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:45 AM on Nov. 18, 2009