Is 10 too old for baby dolls?

I have two girls, ages 7 & 10.. I know the youngest would get a kick outta some of the dolls on toysrus.com... but my 10 yr old Im unsure. She plays with dolls sometimes with her sister but tends to lean towards more adult things. She collects candles, snowglobes, knick knacks... is she too old to get her into babies? I used to play "house" all the time and you should see some of the accessories they have. Whatcha think? Buy or not?

Gremlyn

Asked by Gremlyn at 8:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would maybe get her one so she can play with her sister, but get her the "adult things" she collects. Make her feel you think she is responsible.... if that is worded right.
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I would buy her one, kids (especially girls) are growing up so fast these days.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i played with barbies until i was 12, but im not sure if i wanted them for christmas. why dont you just ask her what she wants?
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with a 10 yo playing with dolls, but if she hasn't shown much interest in dolls or asked for dolls by now I suspect they are not really her thing - not all girls go through a "doll" phase. I'd try to get gifts that are specifically for her with her interests in mind. Take her shopping and see what she gravitates toward, ask her what she wants, or watch her to see how she spend most of her free time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I was never interested in baby dolls when I was younger and if my parents bought me one to play with they'd just be wasting their money because I wouldn't play with it, it'd get tossed in my closet. I'd buy her whatever she was into. Just because a child doesn't want to play with baby dolls doesn't mean they are "Growing up" too fast. Some are just never interested in them from the get go.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 1:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Eh I'd ask her. One Christmas when I was in middle school my mom did a whole Barbie Christmas for me. I was like, what the hell was she thinking? I never asked for that stuff nor played with it since I was like 8. I had to pretend to like all that stuff because I didn't want to make her feel bad but wondered why everything that Christmas had to be Barbie. Grr.
    Anonymous

• I agree with pp. If she only plays with dolls sometimes when she's playing with her younger sister then I would pass on the doll for Christmas. I played with Barbies until I was 13-14 but my sister was never really into dolls.
    mkamom

Answer by mkamom at 4:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I have a 14 year old who still plays with dolls. She likes to play house with the two little ones in the house, especially when she's grounded. ;-) 10 is still an okay age to play with dolls, just add another item to show her that you understand she's growing up, but that you don't expect her to put childhood things away yet. It will make her feel more comfortable, IMO.
    Becky1230

Answer by Becky1230 at 1:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It is not a question of "too old" really, but why would you get her something she does NOT show an interest in at all. That seems kind of out of touch with her as a person! Gifts should be about what the individual actually likes and wants. And even if a 10 year old plays with dolls, you know at that age it is going to be a pretty short-lived thing.....I wouldn' t push dolls on her. Get her what she loves. If she and her sister want to play dolls together, I am sure her sister would be happy to share the dolls during the game.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I wouldnt get it for her since shes not really interested. I would get her something else that she would want. Why not ask her what she would want or have her make a "wish" list?
    tanya777

Answer by tanya777 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2009