Scientology a criminal organisation. ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6595994/Australian-senator-brands-Scientology-a-criminal-organisation.html

An Australian senator, Nick Xenophon, has branded the Church of Scientology a 'criminal organisation' and called for a government inquiry into its practices.

Among them were claims that the Church of Scientology engaged in extensive criminal activity, including assault; imprisonment; the covering up of sexual abuse; embezzlement of church funds and blackmail. It was also claimed that the church had exerted pressure on some members to undergo abortions.
"Scientology is not a religious organisation; it is a criminal organisation that hides behind its so-called religious beliefs," Mr Xenophon told the senate.

Just recently accused in France , now in Australia, seems they are under harsh criticism.

If you voluntarily join a religion , can you then complain about it once you change your mind ?

zanzeebeel

Asked by zanzeebeel at 9:45 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm still thinking on it !!!!!!! --- undecided as yet !!!

zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 9:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I'm not sure but I heard some guy is coming out with a tellall about that crazy Tom Cruise. I can't wait to hear about his strange habits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• The history of charges against Scientology in the EU is pretty substantial. SO and I were discussing this the other day. The required "donations" for moving through the levels of the organization is questionable to say the least. Reports of thermal therapies to extort confessions seem to violate human rights laws, anti-torture, and kidnapping legislation. Much of this is kept out of the media.

If everyone is suspicious about your faith, isn't the best approach to welcome them in and freely divulge the truth of your faith? Secrecy breeds suspicion.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I am a former Scientologist and I believe they are a Criminal Organization. They felt our son was the reincarnation of L Ron Hubbard at one point and someone contacted CPS to report us as child molesters. The Church has people in all areas and we lost our son for a while. He went to the home of a Scientologist, the judge was a Scientologist. We got our case moved and were cleared. My son had been molested and raped while not in our care. There have been three kidnap attempts on my son as well and we live under assumed names in another country. They are vile and evil. I feel for any child in the Church since sex with kids is rampant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I think they are, considering you have to pay for everything they offer.
    Jewelzgirl

Answer by Jewelzgirl at 11:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• "If everyone is suspicious about your faith, isn't the best approach to welcome them in and freely divulge the truth of your faith? Secrecy breeds suspicion."

this. i wont go so far as to say they are criminal b/c i dont know, but they are on the radar for being so secretive.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• These kinds of charges are leveled at groups who are outside the mainstream pretty regularly. Mystery religions are often suspect. I haven't seen anything that would make me suspect that there is even a glimmer of truth to these charges, but I don't have any first hand experience with the group either. I think that when someone makes those kinds of charges they should have concrete proof in hand. Being secretive does not equal being criminal or bad. If the senator can't produce some kind of proof I think he should punished for his slanderous behavior. I seriously doubt he will be able to indite Scientology as a whole & if he is referring to a specific group in his country he should make that clear.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• it's a cult!
    Anonymous

• The thing with Scientology is that when you join, they don't tell you everything about it. Yes, its voluntary, but in the beginning it just seems like a harmless self-help type thing and by the time you realize what it is, you're in too deep to do anything about it. I do think its a criminal organization and its ridiculous that the US hasn't seen that yet.

Its the same concept as someone voluntarily signing up for a credit card and then having them drop so many ridiculous fees on you that you end up with a huge debt and it ruins your credit. Yes it was voluntary, but you were tricked by the company because they hid the fine print or re-worded it so that it seemed good.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Anon :17, thank you so much for answering! There's never been anyone on here who was actually a Scientologist and could vouch for this.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2009