Question about Pride and Prejudice

I am reading Pride and Prejudice and am very bothered by something I keep seeing. Thus far, I've seen it 4 times. Every time they are discussing a particular area, it reads: "Before he returns to the --------shire". Every time! It's always "..... the ---------shire". It's not like a pause, as in: "Oh no -- it is not that....."

I tried looking it up online, but couldn't get an answer. Anybody know? What does "--------shire" mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a literary technique used to promote ambiguity and suggest universalism. It was fairly common in 19th century literature. Edgar Allen Poe used it also with the names of individuals rather than places.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 11:06 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Shire is usually in reference to a county.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I get that. I'm not asking for the definition of "shire". I'm asking what's the deal with the long line that always appears in front of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I always thought they did it to make the setting/area vague. This way one thinks it very well may have occured.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Oh, sorry. I haven't seen that. I don't know if the original was written that way, but in the movie (A&E version - ooh-la-la - Mr. Darcy) I believe the actually used areas (like Oxfordshire, etc.).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2009