Switching doctors in third trimester

I have been fighting congestion and cough since September 6. On my last OB visit, she put me on a second round of antibiotics and put the reason down as sinus infection but I had little to no congestion at that time, just a cough. I have had a sinus infection before and definately did not have one. She also missed pneumonia in my daughter and as a result, I have been exposed to that for as long a 6 weeks. I am angry and want to switch doctors. Have any of you switched this late in the game? I am 29 weeks along...

khedy

Asked by khedy at 10:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The OB was treating your child?

You can switch, sure! It happens sometimes. Some women switch at 9 months, even. But for some women it is harder to find someone as they get farther along.

Do you have any complications that might make it less likely for someone to take you?
    Have you considered a midwife instead?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• OP here: I see a family practice doctor so yes she was treating my daughter. I have a healthy normal pregnancy, no complications at all.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i would also be upset about the antibiotics. i don't like to hear about drs handing out antibiotics like candy but i do think it's fairly common :(

i think you have plenty of time to switch. at this point you will want to be sure you have someone you are comfortable with for the birth. i have a midwife but i have heard that it's good to have a family doctor rather than an OB because they can't do c-sections and so won't do stuff that will make c-section less likely. but not necessarily. just do a lot of research to find someone who will respect your wishes for birth. gl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Oh, I see. Well, if you have the interest, it sounds like switching may be a good idea.
    Midwives are "Normal Birth Specialists," let me know if you'd like more info/help with finding one.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Absolutely switch if you are unhappy. You still have lots of doctor visits left to get comfortable with a new doctor. You have enough on your plate without having to second guess if your family doctor is making the right decisions.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2009