6 year old with under arm odor

My daughter sometimes has this kind of onion smelling odor under her arms, what could be causing this? Is it safe to have her wear deodorant already? Or is there any other remedies I could use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 6 and 8 yr. olds have this problem too well it is not a problem it's just that they are probably developing faster that expected in that part and yes they both use deodorant sooner or later they will have to use it why not now and they enjoy feeling like a big kid and the other the smell of the deo. Have fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Most deodorant isn't safe for anyone of any age. It's full of aluminum.

There are mineral crystals that will work just fine. Kiss My Face makes a roll on "liquid crystal" deodorant that is awesome and comes in some very nice natural girly scents. PInk and purple bottles too.

But I would be more concerned about her diet. Is she eating enough raw veggies? Is she snacking on something at school that she shouldn't have? Sweat is how the body eliminates many toxins. The yuckier the toxins, the worse the smell.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:27 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• it could be the food she's eating or she could be starting puberty early. Some day that deodorant is harmfull, but i've been wearing it since I was 10 my dad has been using it his whole life and he's 72. The crystals are a good idea as well. Like deodorants they dont' prevent perspiration like anti-persperation does
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You can also put rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and wipe the armpit area to kill odor and bacteria. This might help.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:15 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• my oldest dd started bo when she was 7.5. showering 2x's a day didn't help so i got her teen spirit. she's 9 now and starting puberty. unfortanately puberty can start as early as 5! tell tale signs are body hair growth, mood swings, withdrawn, the need to be alone(but these things could also indecate depression). ask her pcp if they have any booklets about puberty, my doc office gave me one called changes(they talk about both sexes so read it first!!). she's normal going through the change of becoming a "woman", she needs you the most right now; but don't push let her know you're ready to listen whever she needs to talk. good luck!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My niece started useing deodorant a yr ago or so. She is now 7, although i dont remember her smelling, she just wanted to use big girl stuff like her mommy. This is nothing wrong with this, it just teaches them sooner. I alot of time i dont like she'll leave the house with out it on.
    nikkik526

Answer by nikkik526 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Jordan Essentials also makes an aluminum free deoderant.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Sounds like puberty to me.Good old hormones kicking in.Buy her some anti-perspirant/deodorant to use.I was in the fourth grade when I started to wear anti-perspirent/deodorant.I'm 25 now.

Anonymous

• My daughter is the SAME way! She stinks!! :)
    She HAS to take a bath everyday! No matter what! Because she gets smelly. But she is a kid: she runs and plays alot and sweats! I think that is what it is. Its no different that us running and sweating and smelling. Ya know. I don't think its puberty. She is six! Come on!!
    But i am having the same problem. Your not the only one out there! Deoderant=maybe. If you can get your lil one to wear it everyday. Which can be a hard thing. Maybe just on days she has p.e. or something.
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 10:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Thanks everyone! Glad I am not alone in this! My daughter has a great diet, lots of fruits and veggies. Juice and milk. I will let her pick out a deodorant next time we are at the store, I know teen spirit has some fun scents! She should be getting her 6 year old wellness appoint soon, I will def let the ped know about this :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Nov. 20, 2009