If a nurse doesn't shake the vial couldn't that cause a child to get a heavier dose of mercury in the needle when it's not all drawn into the needle itself in the first place?

A child who is tiny and helpless that goes to a doctor is given shots almost every visit. Between 1970 and now we have quadrupled the number of vaccines (injected illnesses) into a babies system. Not only is autism a concern, but SIDS (in Japan the rate dropped dramatically when they delayed vaccination by a couple of years) asthma, and other illnesses. The preservatives (particularly mercury) when not shake or distributed evenly in the vial could be drawn as a heavier concentration into the needle and then a tiny 8 pound baby gets a HUGE dose of mercery in their body. Mercury sinks to the bottom of the vial. And if it's not shaken what could happen? Isn't mercury is high amounts lethal to the system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I was a child we used to play with mercury. I was a medical lab tech in the 1970s and there was a lab test that involved using mercury. It would be all over the counters and in the hospital sinks. It would get on our wedding bands. There was one jeweler in town that we all took our wedding rings to when the mercury would start to get bad and somehow he would make our rings look better.

I also worked at a university teaching chemistry lab classes for nursing students. There was mercury all over the lab classrooms, in the sinks, in the prep room, and on the floors.

No one worried about it except me. I refused to work around mercury while pregnant. Everyone thought I was being dramatic about the hazards.

That was only 30+ years ago when many people were exposed to a lot of mercury and didn't know it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I'm thinking you're worrying about nothing. From the CDC website:

"Today, with the exception of some flu vaccines, none of the vaccines used in the U.S. protect preschool aged children against 14 infectious diseases contain thimerosal as a preservative. The vaccines with trace amounts of thimerosal licensed to date contain less than 0.5 micrograms of mercury per dose, that is, a given does of vaccine contains less than 1 part per million. Two hepatitis B vaccines, four Hib vaccines, and two DTaP vaccines are thimerosal-free."

The ones that have trace amounts are essentially preservative free, but they use the preservative in the manufacturing process and remove it prior to distribution therefore there is a chance there are trace amounts in it. There's way more mercury in a tuna sandwich than a vaccine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2009