Thermometers?

Can anyone reccomend a thermomaters that is inexpensive but works. I bought three different digital themomaters in the past week and none of them have worked (they all start at around 90 degrees and give readings of 95 degrees even when put in hot water). I don't want to spend $50 on a thermomater, but it is winter and I have kids so I need to be able to take their temps. I used a mercury one with my older daughter (I know the risks, so no lectures please) but I lost it and they don't sell them anymore, only these piece of crap digital things that do not work.

lilysmom2607

Asked by lilysmom2607 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmmm... maybe the batteries are old. I use these cheap digital ones that I get for around $6 at the pharmacy and they work just fine.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You don't test thermometers that way. People thermometers aren't for testing temps in liquid.

A good way to find out what is normal for your child is to take their temps over several days. Take them in the morning, afternoon, and evening and write it down. Morning temps should be the lowest. Some people's normal temp is around 97.6. That's good to know because 99.6 would be a low fever for them.

Digital thermometers under $10 should work fine. Taking children's temp rectally is unnecessary and can be dangerous. Under the arm is fine. If a doctor won't agree with that, time to find a new doctor. Even doctors at major children's hospitals are ok with that.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I tested them several different ways. I doubt everyone in my family has a temp of exactley 95 degrees. I thought it might be batteries too, but three different ones? It is just weird.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 18, 2009