Whatever happened to teachers actually "teaching"??

My son brought home his report card yesterday and needless to say, it was a little disappointing. He made honor roll for the last 3 years and this is his first year of high school and now his grades have dropped tremendously. So...lastnight I was helping him study something in his world history class and this is what he said..."I have to study this booklet that the teacher gave us because she tests us everyday on what we studied. Sometimes we have three tests." So I asked him what else they do in class and he said that the tests were it. The teacher never teaches anything. She just hands these books out and tells them to study them every night. Is this the norm?? How are children supposed to learn from this? Just curious...

sonja911

Asked by sonja911 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in

• You can thank Administrators and lazy parenting for that. Teachers aren't allowed to teach anymore it seems. Everyone is so concered about standarized testings, that, that is all that is being taught.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I really don't understand "teaching to the tests" myself. If you are teaching the right stuff, shouldn't they do well on the tests WITHOUT specifically prepping for it?

When I was in middle and high schools I had some great History teachers. They'd get you fully engaged in what they were teaching you. They made up games for test reviews that everyone LOVED to play and would want to do well at, so of course kids would study to be prepared for them. We got to watch movies pertaining to the time period we were studying and the teachers would talk through them and point out things that were just "Hollywood" and things that were historically accurate and important. I think part of it is a lot of Teachers just want their weekends and summers off and don't actually want to deal with the teaching part of their job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• How teachers in high school and college used to teach was to outline or tell the student what they were supposed to have read. You would go to class and be bored if you read what you were supposed to have read because the teacher would just outline what you read.

Another way of teaching is to expect the student to read the material. To make sure they do you have to test. Along with testing it is good to have time to have discussion. Many high school and college students don't care and won't get involved in discussions.

There is nothing wrong with a history teacher having students read and then having daily tests. It may not be the very best way but its not the worst.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• A lot of teachers have given up on actually teaching, due to low budgets, lack of supplies, and low pay. I wish for the days of true teacher again. That's why I home school.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• School vouchers would be the answers. Take that voucher to a private school.  They seem to just take taxpayers money for not teaching. 

Anonymous

• whatever, i work in a k-8 school. teachers do teach... just because your son has one bad teacher. dont blame the whole group. call the principal and tell him/her what your son told you, ask him/her to observe that teachers class and get back to you about whether your son is being honest or not..and this is all stemming from a drop in grades on the report card, looking for someone other than yourself or your kid to blame?... i think so!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Thanks Amelia!

I'm a teacher and this post offends me.   Your son is in high school so he's has dozens of teachers. Just because this ONE is not effective doesn't mean all of us don't teach. Lumping all of us into one category is unfair.

BTW... just because your son says the teacher doesn't do anything but give tests doesn't make it true. Kids say whatever they need to to deflect blame on someone else. It could be true, but I would talk to the teacher before pointing any fingers.

Anonymous

• Thank the No Child Left Behind Act. Too many teachers are busy worry about how to get students to pass this test to teach.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• This is the reason I will NOT teach in public schools. Teachers are paid next to nothing and the board dangles these bonuses in front of them if their students pass tests. The federal legislation puts so much focus on testing that they can't teach. My heart goes out to all public school teachers. They have a level of patience and tolerance I just don't have.

And for the record, private education is a scam. Every school I have worked at lured me in with promises of high pay and freedom in the classroom. Each administration I have worked for was concerned about ways to make more money and increase enrollment. They made impossible promises to the parents and I wasn't permitted to fail anyone, even the student who purchased his essay off the internet. That would mean a loss of $$.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I think that my daughter's high school may be the last one on the planet that doesn't teach to the test. Unfortunately, this is due to No Child Left Behind (or, as Greg Palast calls it, No Child's Behind Left).

May an appointment to speak with the teacher, and let her/him address your concerns.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

Next question in
ged?

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
Thermometers?