How to discipline a 8 week-old puppy please???

Hi, I have a Siberian pup and she's calm and quiet sometimes, but after she's done eating and discharging herself, she gets really bratty and bouncy...kind of aggressive,too!
She will keep biting me even though I told her not to do so.

Every time she does something wrong, like biting the furniture,my fingers, shoes, and clothes, I raise my voice a little bit and say, "No, stop!". Am I doing wrong?
Should I just be more quiet instead of yelling at her??

I'm afraid that raising my voice will turn her out to be super hyperactive and aggressive... :(

Please, give me a good advice.
Thank you so much!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Yelling no or stop isn't going to work.

If you can take the pup back to be with its mom a few more weeks it would help. For a large breed dog 8 weeks is the very youngest you should take it from its mom. If the pup is with the mom she will teach it some manners and it will may down some.

There are as many different philosophies to raising puppies as there are to raising kids. You need to go to the library and bookstore and look at different books. There are TV shows and videos on raising dogs.

Clicker training is popular right now. Karen Pryor has a new book out about the dog's mind and how clicker training works that is very good. She also has a web site. Clicker training is fast and positive.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Siberians are a hard breed to train and own. A sharp, loud, 'yelp' lets them know that you're hurt.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 11:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• With my dog when ever her teeth touched me I would pull it away, look very sad and ignore her for a few min. She hatted it and now the only time her teeth come near any skin is when you wrestle with her. I would also recommend a long walk. If she is getting the exercise she needs then she will misbehave. Also as far as the chewing I would keep plenty of chew toys and then put a spray on the furniture so it taste bad. There are toys that you could put a treat in and then she would have to figure out how to get it out. Animal Planet has a good dog training show that might give you other ideas as well.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• This is normal puppy behavior. Yelling only excited them more so i woul dstop that. You need to teach her bite inhabition. When she puts her mouth on you wether it hurts or not, "yelp"( I say Ouch) make it sound like it hurt even those rare times when it doesn't. You need to be consistant and she will learn to have a soft mouth and not to put her mouth on you at all when you play with her. If she gets to excited when you play with her, stop playing ignore her until she settles down. When she is chewing on things you don't want her to redirect her with a dog bone or toy. You can also spray the furniture, your hands or clothes, pretty much anythign with bitter apple. It does eventually dry and becoe inaffective so htings would have to be resprayed but again consistantcy id key. You can also use a squrt bottle or water gun on her to correct her when she is chewing on furniture.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• BUST THAT PUPPY ASS ! !
    Anonymous

• She's not biting. She's trying to play with you. This is how dogs play. So set some time aside and play fetch or get a rope & play tug o war with her. She is like a toddler. When she bites, tell her no bite and redirect her attention to a toy.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:04 AM on Nov. 19, 2009