I feel like a horrible mom. Please tell me I am not the only one

Ok, so I asked this in yahoo answers and some people were being very rude. Everyone in here seems to be a little kinder.
This is my sons first year at kindergarten and I have a new born. Well, the newborn keeps me up half the night sometimes. When he does that then I do not wake up in time for my 5 year old to make it to school on time. He has been about 10 minutes late about 10 times and has been about 30 minutes to 1 hour and half late about 3 times.
Please someone tell me I am not the only one

I have an alarm set that is away from my bed. That way I have to get out of bed to turn it off. But sometimes I don't here it. Other times I get up, but then the baby is hungry and I fall back asleep when nursing.
Do you think I should try setting an alarm up in my sons room?

Amyh217

Asked by Amyh217 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yea, I think an alarm in his room would be good. You could set your alarm 10 minutes earleir then his that way if you fall asleep, he will wake you up, and it gives you that 10 extra minutes to get dressed and stuff.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Try double alarms. I used to do that for college because I'd stay up half the night writing papers and then didn't want to get up in the moring and/or shut off the first alarm in my sleep. Having two alarms usually works because the first alarm will at least wake up some part of your brain so that when another goes off 5-10 minutes later you're already more alert than you were with the first alarm.

ALSO, put a digital clock in your child's room. My 6yo is ALWAYS up at the crack of dawn. Teach him that at a certain time (say 7:00) if you aren't up then to come and get you. If you need an alarm to remind him of this (preferably one that's not quite as annoying as a typical buzzing alarm - or just use the radio part) then do that as well.

Good luck. Mine is a step, so I've never had a newborn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• When I had a newborn, and was babysitting full time, and had a son in Kindergarten, I just made myself get up. Yes I breastfed, so I wasn't on any kind of schedule, it was on demand, so I never knew when he was going to wake. You have made a commitment to your children, even the Kindergartner. Set 2 alarms in your bedroom if you have to. Make sure you get up and get him to school on time... I had to walk up a driveway that was 2/10 of a mile long, with a newborn just to make sure my son got on the bus safely.. We only had one car so I had to walk. You do what you have to do.. Sorry, if that was harsh.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Sorry youre sleep deprived! My baby now 18 months didnt sleep through the night his whole first year. I would set double alarms in your room. Do you have a family member or friend who could call you also like a wake up call? You could also set an alarm in your childs room but he is only in kindergarten. The responsibility to get him up and ready falls upon you.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• You might try doing things that make it easier to get out of the house in the morning. Set clothes out the night before. Let your son sleep in his clothes (if he won't tell anyone). Have as much as ready as possible.

If you could find another mom to drive your son to school and then you pick up the kids then that would be great. All you would have to do is get him ready.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:30 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Uh,don't agree with the sleep in his clothes part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i like gailll's answer...i don't have a newborn but i have to have my son at prek at 7:45 every morning. I'm good about waking up but i always put out his clothes the night before, ask him what he is going to have for breakfast so that its not a big decission in the morning, and just have everything ready. It only takes us 20 mins to get out the door. Its not a bad idea to put an alarm clock in your son's room. You could get in trouble with the school if they want to be aholes for not getting him their on time
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• op you have to remember that kindergarten is a legal issue - doing school work and since he's not homewchooled then that school's rules have to be adhered to. Don't know if you have open enrollment that you can put him in another school nearby with later arrival time in the morning? Oh another thing - are you half day kindergarten or all day? If you're half day you can see about switching to afternoon kindergarten but I'm doubtful that it would be approved simply because you can't get up on time.

Remember for when newborn hits kindergarten if you're in a town with afternoon kindergarten, try for that.

Can dh help you in the morning? Cheap alarm clocks are available in windup and electric type in pharmacies like CVS definitely. Set those up throughout your house where you go to bed along the route in your home that you'd get up for son.

Remember it's ok if baby fusses for a bit just a bit while you fast help son.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Set one alarm at your bed, the other for a few minutes later across the room. When you get up, if the baby is hungry feed it, but DO NOT LAY THERE. Get up and get your son up while you're nursing.

Have his clothes, backpack, coat, lunch, etc ready the night before. Don't have him sleep in his clothes. My kids sweat so much that would be insane and they'd stink...don't do that to your son.

Just get up and get moving, get him to school and take a nap when the baby goes back to sleep. Napping during the day will help.
    Anonymous

• i think you should get your butt outta bed, you are setting a terrible example for a kid in K... if you cannot be a responsible parent on your own, get some help or find them a parent who can.. sorry for the harsh words but neglecting what your older son needs from you, just because you have a baby, it completely wrong.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2009