When did your toddler stop taking/needing a nap?

My daughter is almost three and she still gets tired when she usually takes her nap. However, she often just plays in her bed and doesn't sleep. When she does sleep I seem to be having a difficult time settling her to bed at night. When I try to skip the nap/rest altogether she is pretty cranky around dinner time. I can't seem to get it right - I want her to get the sleep she needs and not be cranky but I also want her to go to bed at a decent time. When did you find was a good time for you little ones to forgo the naps and it actually worked for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My youngest is 4 and just stopped taking naps this year.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My son does the same thing. So, we get up around 8 and I put him down for a nap at 11:30-
    It usually takes 30 min to get him to go to sleep. He then goes to sleep at 9 at night.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• my son will be 4 next week and still takes them daily
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• All three of mine have done the same thing...if they nap when they're three they take forever to go to sleep. My youngest just turned 3 and I think we're about to start phasing them out for him, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My 3 year old has pretty much given them up. What we do instead, is have quiet time. She gets to go into our room and watch a movie instead. Our 2 year old still sleeps in their room. Some of the time she falls asleep while watching the movie. For us it works because even if she is not sleeping, she is still getting some down time.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My Dd will be 4 in a couple weeks & stil takes a 2 hour nap every day. If she don't nap. at ;east make it a rest time in her bed. Maybe you should put her to bed earlier & therefore she will maybe fall asleep earlier.
    Anonymous