With only one child... is he destined to be spoiled even tho were pretty fair about things?

I have a 16 month old son and to be honest im not sure if i want another baby. My husband wants another one day but for me im totally content with just my lil man. Without other sibblings does that automaticly make him a spoiled child?

31angelmommy3

Asked by 31angelmommy3 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Different people have very different definitions for spoiled.

What you can do is parent for the kind of person you want your child to become. Make a list of 20 positive qualities a person can have and then rank them. Force yourself to give each a number from 1-20. You can't parent for all of them but you might be able to parent for the top 5.

If being generous is one of your important qualities then you nurture that in your child. In order to do that you might have to let go of others like being competitive. If you do this kind of parenting right you can expect to get at least some of the qualities that were most importatnt to you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• no! :D as long as You know when to tell him no and not give into his every want. He shouldnt be spoiled. It's all about boundries just like with everything else! Don't buy him something everytime you go to the store or he may start to expect it, and whine when he doesnt get it. Really it's all about parenting and if you dont want him to be spoiled you can go around it :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• no. A lot of times, multiple kids are spoiled, expecially the baby. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• lol i just love my lil man to death and i dearly want the best for him. And yes he knows just because we go to the store it dosnt mean he is gonna get something. We have lotsa family and he shares and playes so well with the other children... my family is just really hounding to have another baby and its just got me thinking... ugh gotta love your mother in law.
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Nope. my neice is an only child and she is one of the most well adjusted children I know
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2009