Do you do this to your kids? (The hugging, the kissing and the tickling) often.

My dh says I over do it that I am spoiling the kids and making them to be weak human beings.
I just can't help myself I can be sitting and I see one of my kids (boy & girl) and I ask them to come to me and they do then I grab them and start kissing and hugging and tickling them ooohhh I love doing that to them and they love it too...I guess cause my mom would do this to us and now I know what she felt when she would do this. I even talk to them and tell them will you let mommy do this when you guys grow up to be teenagers and they both say yes but we know different :( So I am taking advantage of it. I just love the feeling we both get :) I just can't get enough of them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ahhh you are sweet to your kids! NOTHING wrong with that!!!
    Yes I am very affectionate with my kids. My fave spot to kiss them is right on the neck. I even tickle their hands when I dress them and they love it. I eat their ribs and call it "corn on the cob" and tickle their chunky thighs and call it "milk the cow." I poke them on their belly and call it a "typewriter." Ok I sound worse than you! lol Tell you r SO about me.....
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• There is NOTHING wrong with hugging & kissing your kids often!!! It has actually been shown to improve their self esteem, etc if I remember what I have read correctly!! Not hugging, etc has shown to have a negative effect!! [Just ask my hubby ,who's family never hugged, how negative that is on a kid - his therapist said he could write a novel on how his parents lack of affection has negatively impacted him]

Keep hugging kissing your kids... you will help them in the ling run!!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I never did that. I would not like to have that done to me so I wouldn't do it to my kids. I would never tickle.

I hold my grandson really close and he seems to melt into me. He is 14 mo. I guess I'm more into slow melt than wild and crazy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Nothing is wrong with that. I do it too. And my daughter just loves it and of course so do I. There's just so much love there you can feel it. Keep right on it hun. You'll have some sweet loving children. We need more of those :)
    KlieneMutter

Answer by KlieneMutter at 11:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• OMG there is NOTHING wrong with hugging and kissing a child. I guess your DH grew up in a different household. That is often a HUGE misconception, that by being affectionate towards your children will make them be dependent or "sissy." Studies have actually shown the opposite. They say children who are shown physical affection (i.e. hugging, kissing, cuddling, etc.) show to be more independent, more confident, focus more, less aggressive. They also have no problem leaving the nest when the time is right.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I hate being tickled so I wouldn't do that to my kids.

I wasn't shown a lot of physical affection and I'm quite independent, and had absolutely no problem leaving the nest either.

Those studies you people keep citing don't show everything, they don't control for everything, you need to be careful of what you read. Oh, and stop reading articles on studies...they're very rarely correct in their interpretation.
    Anonymous

• My kids loved to be tickled!! But, I stop when they say stop, so they don't feel out of control... then they come running back for more saying "tickleme again", laughing their heads off!!! It's a great way to bond with them!!! We used to do that with my Grampa too - some of my fondest memories were the "tickle" fights with him. They always ended in hugs too - so nice to be hugged by the ones who love you!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• ohhh thats so sweet!! i do that to! my daughter loves it as well. when she was younger and couldnt dress herself, so i had to do it, everytime i lifted off her shirt i would always get her armpits, she looked forward to that..i caughter her one time drinking some juice (she was around 2.5 at the time) and then she spilled some on herself (totally on purpose), and she came running up to me saying "uh oh mommy, i need new shirt, dont forget the tickles!!" lol it was so cute!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• yep. we do it with all three of our girls too.

they actually come up and say...catch me mommy! or catch me daddy.

its a great and fun family bonding thing. lol usually manages to ruin any cranky moods.
    Anonymous

• To Anon @ 11:00 AM: Good for you. Try talking to one of the millions of children in our country's foster system that have never been hugged, cuddled, kissed, told "I love you," etc. that all those studies that show positive outcomes from being affectionate towards your kids are "very rarely correct in their interpretation." I'm sure they would disagree.

Anon @ 11:00 AM is the exception, not the rule for children who are not shown affection. You never hear of a serial killer that was given an adequate amount of love and positive attention. Sounds like the Anon @ 11:00 AM has issues of her/his own.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 3:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2009